From: Whisky-dave <>
Subject: Re: Why should I say "Cheese"?
Full headers:
Date: Mon, 27 Nov 2017 05:22:24 -0800 (PST)
From: Whisky-dave <>
On Monday, 27 November 2017 08:13:44 UTC, anon...@internet.none  wrote:
> Why should I say "Cheese"?
> Ever since I was born in the 1950's I have been told to say "cheese"
> whenever someone wants to take my picture.
> WHY?
> No one has ever given me any cheese, and I do like cheese.
> What if I say Macaroni, and leave out the cheese?
> Or maybe I could say Pizza, since all pizza contains cheese.
> What if I say Cheddar, Swiss, or Provolone?
> Or maybe say "Cheeseburger with fries and a coke"
> Then again, I could say "cheese curds", or just say "whey".
> Then there's always "Cottage cheese" or "Cream cheese" to consider.
> I have tried all of these with mixed results. These days, when someone
> says "Say Cheese", I reply "Why", then I proceed to say "I'll say that
> word as soon as you give me some".....
> (Sadly, no one has ever given me any cheese to date)....
> Anyhow, with all the cheese that's been said over the years, I'd think
> that by now every camera would have been used as a pizza topping, if it
> was not previously stolen by mice.

We're not sure when or where a photographer first asked his or her subjects to state the name of the
delicious dairy product, but we do know that when you say "cheese," the corners of your mouth turn
up, your cheeks lift and your teeth show. It looks like a smile, and since smiling is what we do in
pictures, the instruction seems pretty practical.

I wonder how this works in other languages .
I'll ask some foreigners I know.