From: Whisky-dave <whisky.dave@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: Why should I say "Cheese"?
Full headers:
Newsgroups: rec.photo.digital
Date: Mon, 27 Nov 2017 07:24:18 -0800 (PST)
From: Whisky-dave <whisky.dave@gmail.com>
On Monday, 27 November 2017 14:01:55 UTC, Savageduck  wrote:
> On Nov 27, 2017, Whisky-dave wrote
> (in article<b0c33354-c86c-4bc2-9ac0-28c2885bacd6@googlegroups.com>):
>

> > We're not sure when or where a photographer first asked his or her subjects
> > to state the name of the delicious dairy product, but we do know that when
> > you say "cheese," the corners of your mouth turn up, your cheeks lift and
> > your teeth show. It looks like a smile, and since smiling is what we do in
> > pictures, the instruction seems pretty practical.
> >
> > I wonder how this works in other languages .
> > I'll ask some foreigners I know.
>
> All you have to do is try a few tests:
>
> French fromage, nope, even if you get specific with Camembert.
>
> German käse, orDutch kaas close, but no toothy grin.
>
> Italian formaggio, tasty, but that one doesn’t work either.
>
> Neither the Portuguese queijo, nor the Spanish queso fit.
>
> ...and who knows how this would work, 干酪

Well no,  what I actually meant was what do foreigners say INSTEAD of cheese to give the 'grin'
although I don't think that happenes to me when I say cheese,
or when I say chedder or red leicester and we all know what some americans say when they say
where's Leicester square  ;-)
and when they on TWIS say the university of Reading   it's redding not reeeeding.