Subject: Re: 4K screens RGB vs RGBW
Full headers:
From: Alan Browne <>
Date: Mon, 27 Nov 2017 17:42:31 -0500
On 2017-11-27 16:46, Alfred Molon wrote:
> I was checking a new notebook (the ASUS VivoBook Pro 15 N580VD). Looks
> interesting, especially because the price is not so high compared to
> other notebook PCs in the same class (core i7 7700HQ, 512GB SSD+1TB HDD,
> 16GB RAM, 15" UHD screen, fast graphics card etc).
> But the 4K screen seems to be only RGBW and not RGB, which according to
> a review degrades a bit the image shown on the screen. Does anybody know
> more about this RGB vs RGBW issue?

 From a cursory review it does indeed seem such displays (RGBW) are not
as good as pure RGB in terms of colour reproduction.  They may be a bit
better in brightness.  They are cheaper to make.

This does not seem like a machine a photographer w/should use.  OTOH, if
you go look at one in appropriate lighting conditions and find it
acceptable, then that may be sufficient for you.

"My Twitter has become so powerful that
  I can actually make my enemies tell the truth."
...Donald Trump