Subject: Re: 4K screens RGB vs RGBW
Full headers:
Newsgroups: rec.photo.digital
From: Alan Browne <alan.browne@freelunchvideotron.ca>
Date: Mon, 27 Nov 2017 17:42:31 -0500
On 2017-11-27 16:46, Alfred Molon wrote:
> I was checking a new notebook (the ASUS VivoBook Pro 15 N580VD). Looks
> interesting, especially because the price is not so high compared to
> other notebook PCs in the same class (core i7 7700HQ, 512GB SSD+1TB HDD,
> 16GB RAM, 15" UHD screen, fast graphics card etc).
>
> But the 4K screen seems to be only RGBW and not RGB, which according to
> a review degrades a bit the image shown on the screen. Does anybody know
> more about this RGB vs RGBW issue?

 From a cursory review it does indeed seem such displays (RGBW) are not
as good as pure RGB in terms of colour reproduction.  They may be a bit
better in brightness.  They are cheaper to make.

This does not seem like a machine a photographer w/should use.  OTOH, if
you go look at one in appropriate lighting conditions and find it
acceptable, then that may be sufficient for you.

http://www.hdtvtest.co.uk/news/rgbw-201510084189.htm

--
"My Twitter has become so powerful that
  I can actually make my enemies tell the truth."