From: Alfred Molon <alfred_molon@yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: 4K screens RGB vs RGBW
Full headers:
From: Alfred Molon <alfred_molon@yahoo.com>
Newsgroups: rec.photo.digital
Date: Mon, 27 Nov 2017 23:56:12 +0100
In article<rYydnXXY_M9KCYHHnZ2dnUU7-IHNnZ2d@giganews.com>, Alan Browne
says...

> On 2017-11-27 16:46, Alfred Molon wrote:
> > I was checking a new notebook (the ASUS VivoBook Pro 15 N580VD). Looks
> > interesting, especially because the price is not so high compared to
> > other notebook PCs in the same class (core i7 7700HQ, 512GB SSD+1TB HDD,
> > 16GB RAM, 15" UHD screen, fast graphics card etc).
> >
> > But the 4K screen seems to be only RGBW and not RGB, which according to
> > a review degrades a bit the image shown on the screen. Does anybody know
> > more about this RGB vs RGBW issue?
>
>  From a cursory review it does indeed seem such displays (RGBW) are not
> as good as pure RGB in terms of colour reproduction.  They may be a bit
> better in brightness.  They are cheaper to make.
>
> This does not seem like a machine a photographer w/should use.  OTOH, if
> you go look at one in appropriate lighting conditions and find it
> acceptable, then that may be sufficient for you.
>
> http://www.hdtvtest.co.uk/news/rgbw-201510084189.htm

This notebook was ticking all the boxes, until I read about the RGBW
issue with the screen.

Which other 15" notebook has a decent 4K screen for image editing?

I would need a machine as fast as possible (which in practice means an
i7 7700HQ or similar processor and a fast graphics card), 16GB RAM or
more, M.2 SSD and HDD for space.
--
Alfred Molon