From: Nuwen <nuwen@example.com>
Subject: Re: Why should I say "Cheese"?
From: Nuwen <nuwen@example.com>
Newsgroups: rec.photo.digital,alt.photography
Date: Tue, 28 Nov 2017 09:16:09 -0800
sha1:XyWVRtT1KL9Wi3KajkzDHk+HGes=
PeterN <"peter,newdelete"@deleteverizon.net> writes:

> On 11/27/2017 10:03 AM, anonymous@internet.none wrote:
>
> <snip>
>

>> If you've seen those old time B&W pictures from the 1800s. you'll notice
>> that no one smiled and never showed their teeth. I dont know if this is
>> true, but I was told by someone who seems to know history, that the
>> reason they did not smile was because many of them lacked teeth, or had
>> bad looking teeth. Considering the lack of dentistry back then, this
>> could have likely been true for particularly older people.
>>
> My theory is:
> Bad teeth make if difficult to chew. That's why barbecue, a method of
> making meat tender, became so popular.

Old lenses were very 'slow' (pick up a camera from even the 1930s,
you'll find they often didn't go any faster than say f/5.6).

Old photographic processes weren't particularly fast ("high ISO")
either.

If you're sitting for a photo in natural light, and the lens is slow,
and the medium is slow, you may have to sit for 30 seconds. I, for one,
cannot maintain a good smile for 30 seconds when I'm posing for a
picture. It's a lot easier to sit stone-faced.

nuwen