Subject: Re: Photoshopping school photos
Full headers:
From: PeterN <"peter,newdelete"@deleteverizon.net>
Newsgroups: rec.photo.digital
Date: Wed, 29 Nov 2017 21:58:17 -0500
On 11/29/2017 9:34 PM, Mayayana wrote:
> "Tony Cooper"<tonycooper214@gmail.com> wrote
>
> | Today, school photographers offer editing-at-a-cost.  The local
> | photographer charges $20 to whiten teeth, whiten the whites of the
> | eyes, and remove minor blemishes.  Other, more extensive services are
> | available.  If all the services are taken, the amount could be as much
> | as $240.  That might include taking braces off, restoring missing
> | teeth, removal of tan lines, adjustments to the hair, etc.
> |
> | I've used "Photoshopping" in the Subject line, but some other software
> | may be used.
>
>    I think that's not really a PS thing. There are
> specific programs. When I bought PSP16
> "Ultimate" version it came with Face Filter 3.
> I never used it. It required me to register and I
> had no interest in the functionality. But it's
> one of a number of automated programs that
> do what you're talking about. The difference
> with PS is that these programs don't just provide
> tools. They provide "wizards".
>
>    Face Filter describes functions like so:
>
> Create a flawless complexion... skin smoothing...
> blemish removal.
>
>   Beautifying tools. Basically graphical makeup.
>
> Expression redefining. "Muscle based facial
> morhing to create a desired expression".
>
>     I'd guess that the school photographers are
> using such tools. Not skill with PS. Just feed in
> the photo and get a picture of a more attractive,
> similar looking person. On the other hand, like
> plastic surgery it doesn't really quite work. The
> personal character is lost and that's most of
> what makes someone interesting.

It looks like my initial response to Tony did not get through.
Event and portrait photographers have been fixing blemishes for years.
In the digital age a lot of people tend to regard photographers as a
commodity, and not as craftsman and artists. Photographers are entitled
to make an honest living. They need to eat, as do all of us. If fixing
images of teeth helps them do so, I think that's great.

--
PeterN