From: Tony Cooper <tonycooper214@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: Photoshopping school photos
Full headers:
From: Tony Cooper <tonycooper214@gmail.com>
Newsgroups: rec.photo.digital
Date: Wed, 29 Nov 2017 22:28:47 -0500
On Wed, 29 Nov 2017 21:58:17 -0500, PeterN
<"peter,newdelete"@deleteverizon.net> wrote:

>On 11/29/2017 9:34 PM, Mayayana wrote:
>> "Tony Cooper"<tonycooper214@gmail.com> wrote
>>
>> | Today, school photographers offer editing-at-a-cost.  The local
>> | photographer charges $20 to whiten teeth, whiten the whites of the
>> | eyes, and remove minor blemishes.  Other, more extensive services are
>> | available.  If all the services are taken, the amount could be as much
>> | as $240.  That might include taking braces off, restoring missing
>> | teeth, removal of tan lines, adjustments to the hair, etc.
>> |
>> | I've used "Photoshopping" in the Subject line, but some other software
>> | may be used.
>>
>>    I think that's not really a PS thing. There are
>> specific programs. When I bought PSP16
>> "Ultimate" version it came with Face Filter 3.
>> I never used it. It required me to register and I
>> had no interest in the functionality. But it's
>> one of a number of automated programs that
>> do what you're talking about. The difference
>> with PS is that these programs don't just provide
>> tools. They provide "wizards".
>>
>>    Face Filter describes functions like so:
>>
>> Create a flawless complexion... skin smoothing...
>> blemish removal.
>>
>>   Beautifying tools. Basically graphical makeup.
>>
>> Expression redefining. "Muscle based facial
>> morhing to create a desired expression".
>>
>>     I'd guess that the school photographers are
>> using such tools. Not skill with PS. Just feed in
>> the photo and get a picture of a more attractive,
>> similar looking person. On the other hand, like
>> plastic surgery it doesn't really quite work. The
>> personal character is lost and that's most of
>> what makes someone interesting.
>>

>It looks like my initial response to Tony did not get through.

It came through to me as email.

>Event and portrait photographers have been fixing blemishes for years.
>In the digital age a lot of people tend to regard photographers as a
>commodity, and not as craftsman and artists. Photographers are entitled
>to make an honest living. They need to eat, as do all of us. If fixing
>images of teeth helps them do so, I think that's great.

I don't object to photographers making money, but I do see the
practice as somewhat objectionable.  The message it gives to the kids
is that their appearance is of paramount importance to their parents.
You're teeth aren't brilliantly white in a photo?  You don't live up
to my expectations.   You're parents didn't pay to have that gap where
the baby tooth came out filled in with a fake tooth?  They must not
love you.

When the demand for physical perfection starts that early in life it
can have later repercussions.

--
Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida