From: Tony Cooper <tonycooper214@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: CF cards apparently not dead yet
From: Tony Cooper <tonycooper214@gmail.com>
Newsgroups: rec.photo.digital
Date: Thu, 30 Nov 2017 01:00:33 -0500
On Wed, 29 Nov 2017 22:17:36 -0500, PeterN
<"peter,newdelete"@deleteverizon.net> wrote:

>On 11/29/2017 10:09 PM, nospam wrote:

>>> Additional time to download a card, is not an important area of
>>> photography, unless you are a photo journalist.
>>
>> maybe not to you, but the rest of the world disagrees.
>>
>> that's why people buy usb 3 hard drives instead of cheaper and slower
>> usb 2 hard drives, it's why people buy newer and faster computers
>> rather than use the same one they've been using since windows xp came
>> out.
>>

>Uh huh!

I must not be part of "the rest of the world".  The time it takes for
a card to transfer the photos to the computer is of no concern to me
at all.  Cutting that time in half would not be of any advantage.  My
usual routine is to remove the card, insert it in the reader, and
start the upload.

While the photos are being uploaded, I remove the battery from the
camera and put it in the charger.  By the time I finish doing that,
and return to the computer, all the images have been uploaded.

Because I upload using Import in Lightroom, the time consuming part is
waiting for LR to generate the Smart Previews.  I know I can set LR to
generate Minimal previews, or one of the other faster options, but I
don't mind the wait for Smart Previews.

It's not like I have something terribly urgent or important to do in
those extra minutes.  I just Alt-Tab to a different window and check
my email or a newsgroup.

--
Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida