From: nospam <nospam@nospam.invalid>
Subject: Re: CF cards apparently not dead yet
Full headers:
From: nospam <nospam@nospam.invalid>
Date: Thu, 30 Nov 2017 12:54:41 -0500
In article<>, Tony Cooper<> wrote:

> >> maybe not to you, but the rest of the world disagrees.
> >>
> >> that's why people buy usb 3 hard drives instead of cheaper and slower
> >> usb 2 hard drives, it's why people buy newer and faster computers
> >> rather than use the same one they've been using since windows xp came
> >> out.
> >>

> >Uh huh!
> I must not be part of "the rest of the world".

very true.

> The time it takes for
> a card to transfer the photos to the computer is of no concern to me
> at all.  Cutting that time in half would not be of any advantage.  My
> usual routine is to remove the card, insert it in the reader, and
> start the upload.

> While the photos are being uploaded, I remove the battery from the
> camera and put it in the charger.  By the time I finish doing that,
> and return to the computer, all the images have been uploaded.

you must not shoot very many images at a time.

> Because I upload using Import in Lightroom, the time consuming part is
> waiting for LR to generate the Smart Previews.  I know I can set LR to
> generate Minimal previews, or one of the other faster options, but I
> don't mind the wait for Smart Previews.

that has absolutely nothing to do with the speed of the card.

> It's not like I have something terribly urgent or important to do in
> those extra minutes.  I just Alt-Tab to a different window and check
> my email or a newsgroup.

i have an older 64 gig uhs card (the fastest available at the time)
which takes around 15 minutes to copy when it's full (very easy to do
with video).

a 256 gig card of similar speed would be in the 1 hour range.

newer and faster cards could reduce that to 20-30 minutes.