From: PeterN <peter.new@verizon.net>
Subject: Re: Photoshopping school photos
Full headers:
From: PeterN <peter.new@verizon.net>
Newsgroups: rec.photo.digital
Date: Thu, 30 Nov 2017 16:12:27 -0500
On 11/29/2017 10:28 PM, Tony Cooper wrote:
> On Wed, 29 Nov 2017 21:58:17 -0500, PeterN
> <"peter,newdelete"@deleteverizon.net> wrote:
>
>> On 11/29/2017 9:34 PM, Mayayana wrote:
>>> "Tony Cooper"<tonycooper214@gmail.com> wrote

>>>     I think that's not really a PS thing. There are
>>> specific programs. When I bought PSP16
>>> "Ultimate" version it came with Face Filter 3.
>>> I never used it. It required me to register and I
>>> had no interest in the functionality. But it's
>>> one of a number of automated programs that
>>> do what you're talking about. The difference
>>> with PS is that these programs don't just provide
>>> tools. They provide "wizards".
>>>
>>>     Face Filter describes functions like so:
>>>
>>> Create a flawless complexion... skin smoothing...
>>> blemish removal.
>>>
>>>    Beautifying tools. Basically graphical makeup.
>>>
>>> Expression redefining. "Muscle based facial
>>> morhing to create a desired expression".
>>>
>>>      I'd guess that the school photographers are
>>> using such tools. Not skill with PS. Just feed in
>>> the photo and get a picture of a more attractive,
>>> similar looking person. On the other hand, like
>>> plastic surgery it doesn't really quite work. The
>>> personal character is lost and that's most of
>>> what makes someone interesting.
>>>

>> It looks like my initial response to Tony did not get through.
>
> It came through to me as email.
>
>> Event and portrait photographers have been fixing blemishes for years.
>> In the digital age a lot of people tend to regard photographers as a
>> commodity, and not as craftsman and artists. Photographers are entitled
>> to make an honest living. They need to eat, as do all of us. If fixing
>> images of teeth helps them do so, I think that's great.
>
> I don't object to photographers making money, but I do see the
> practice as somewhat objectionable.  The message it gives to the kids
> is that their appearance is of paramount importance to their parents.
> You're teeth aren't brilliantly white in a photo?  You don't live up
> to my expectations.   You're parents didn't pay to have that gap where
> the baby tooth came out filled in with a fake tooth?  They must not
> love you.
>
> When the demand for physical perfection starts that early in life it
> can have later repercussions.

That is our society. There are a lot of kids running around with braces,
a lessor number get nose jobs, females, who can afford it get; face and
body lifts; including, but not limited to thigh reduction, breast
enlargement; breast reduction, etc. Doing this photographically is a lot
less intrusive, reversible, and expensive. And as I said earlier,
retouching of portraits and other images, is common practice.

As a practical matter if two people with equal qualifications are
seeking a job, one is pimply faced and obese, with buck teeth, and the
other could be a model for Myron, There is little doubt in my mind that
the Myron model would get first dibs. I am not saying that is morally
right, I am just saying that is how things are.
--
PeterN