From: Tony Cooper <tonycooper214@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: CF cards apparently not dead yet
From: Tony Cooper <tonycooper214@gmail.com>
Newsgroups: rec.photo.digital
Date: Thu, 30 Nov 2017 19:24:03 -0500
References: <0006b719-570c-4f61-a7dd-8ff25252f8ba@googlegroups.com> <MPG.34891a724d696eaf98cf29@news.supernews.com> <ovn6hb0mmk@news4.newsguy.com> <291120171552201340%nospam@nospam.invalid> <ovnquv0fjr@news3.newsguy.com> <291120172155172901%nospam@nospam.invalid> <ovns9h1g4h@news3.newsguy.com> <291120172209102843%nospam@nospam.invalid> <ovnt8j0glb@news3.newsguy.com> <fp6v1d5cdqqtjp87njgo0gbkddantkdplm@4ax.com> <301120171254418909%nospam@nospam.invalid>
On Thu, 30 Nov 2017 12:54:41 -0500, nospam<nospam@nospam.invalid>
wrote:

>> >Uh huh!
>>
>> I must not be part of "the rest of the world".
>
>very true.
>
>> The time it takes for
>> a card to transfer the photos to the computer is of no concern to me
>> at all.  Cutting that time in half would not be of any advantage.  My
>> usual routine is to remove the card, insert it in the reader, and
>> start the upload.
>
>> While the photos are being uploaded, I remove the battery from the
>> camera and put it in the charger.  By the time I finish doing that,
>> and return to the computer, all the images have been uploaded.
>
>you must not shoot very many images at a time.
>
>> Because I upload using Import in Lightroom, the time consuming part is
>> waiting for LR to generate the Smart Previews.  I know I can set LR to
>> generate Minimal previews, or one of the other faster options, but I
>> don't mind the wait for Smart Previews.
>
>that has absolutely nothing to do with the speed of the card.
>
>> It's not like I have something terribly urgent or important to do in
>> those extra minutes.  I just Alt-Tab to a different window and check
>> my email or a newsgroup.
>
>i have an older 64 gig uhs card (the fastest available at the time)
>which takes around 15 minutes to copy when it's full (very easy to do
>with video).
>
>a 256 gig card of similar speed would be in the 1 hour range.
>
>newer and faster cards could reduce that to 20-30 minutes.

So we have two people with anecdotal versions.  One says he's not
concerned with the amount of time it takes to upload photos from a
card, and the other is concerned that it takes 15 minutes to upload
his videos.

If you extrapolate that to the "rest of the world", then 50% of the
rest of the world aren't concerned, thus disproving your claim.

--
Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida