From: Tony Cooper <>
Subject: Re: CF cards apparently not dead yet
Full headers:
From: Tony Cooper <>
Date: Thu, 30 Nov 2017 19:24:03 -0500
On Thu, 30 Nov 2017 12:54:41 -0500, nospam<nospam@nospam.invalid>

>> >Uh huh!
>> I must not be part of "the rest of the world".
>very true.
>> The time it takes for
>> a card to transfer the photos to the computer is of no concern to me
>> at all.  Cutting that time in half would not be of any advantage.  My
>> usual routine is to remove the card, insert it in the reader, and
>> start the upload.
>> While the photos are being uploaded, I remove the battery from the
>> camera and put it in the charger.  By the time I finish doing that,
>> and return to the computer, all the images have been uploaded.
>you must not shoot very many images at a time.
>> Because I upload using Import in Lightroom, the time consuming part is
>> waiting for LR to generate the Smart Previews.  I know I can set LR to
>> generate Minimal previews, or one of the other faster options, but I
>> don't mind the wait for Smart Previews.
>that has absolutely nothing to do with the speed of the card.
>> It's not like I have something terribly urgent or important to do in
>> those extra minutes.  I just Alt-Tab to a different window and check
>> my email or a newsgroup.
>i have an older 64 gig uhs card (the fastest available at the time)
>which takes around 15 minutes to copy when it's full (very easy to do
>with video).
>a 256 gig card of similar speed would be in the 1 hour range.
>newer and faster cards could reduce that to 20-30 minutes.

So we have two people with anecdotal versions.  One says he's not
concerned with the amount of time it takes to upload photos from a
card, and the other is concerned that it takes 15 minutes to upload
his videos.

If you extrapolate that to the "rest of the world", then 50% of the
rest of the world aren't concerned, thus disproving your claim.

Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida