From: Tony Cooper <tonycooper214@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: CF cards apparently not dead yet
From: Tony Cooper <tonycooper214@gmail.com>
Newsgroups: rec.photo.digital
Date: Thu, 30 Nov 2017 20:56:13 -0500
References: <MPG.34891a724d696eaf98cf29@news.supernews.com> <ovn6hb0mmk@news4.newsguy.com> <291120171552201340%nospam@nospam.invalid> <ovnquv0fjr@news3.newsguy.com> <291120172155172901%nospam@nospam.invalid> <ovns9h1g4h@news3.newsguy.com> <291120172209102843%nospam@nospam.invalid> <ovnt8j0glb@news3.newsguy.com> <fp6v1d5cdqqtjp87njgo0gbkddantkdplm@4ax.com> <301120171254418909%nospam@nospam.invalid> <tu712d9i2a7ss45k5c7a5gfhe7dr2l1j56@4ax.com> <301120171946271329%nospam@nospam.invalid>
On Thu, 30 Nov 2017 19:46:27 -0500, nospam<nospam@nospam.invalid>
wrote:

>In article<tu712d9i2a7ss45k5c7a5gfhe7dr2l1j56@4ax.com>, Tony Cooper
><tonycooper214@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> So we have two people with anecdotal versions.  One says he's not
>> concerned with the amount of time it takes to upload photos from a
>> card, and the other is concerned that it takes 15 minutes to upload
>> his videos.
>
>since the transfer is local, it's called copying.

The process is called many things...upload, download, import, copy,
transfer, etc.  Adobe uses two terms on this page:

https://helpx.adobe.com/bridge/using/import-camera-photos-bridge.htm

The top line says "import photos" and #2 says to "Click Download
Images".

SanDisk uses "transfer" and "transfer speed":

https://kb.sandisk.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/7491/~/sandisk-produc...

The different card readers that came up in a search also use
"Transfer".

In Lightroom, the word "Copy" is used. but they also use "import" when
they say refer to getting images from a card to Lightroom.

https://helpx.adobe.com/lightroom/help/importing-photos-lightroom-ba...

I agree that "upload" or "download" are the least applicable terms,
but you can't say that "it's called copying" as if it's the *right*
term because "copy" is used less than "transfer" any of the other
terms including "upload" and "download" by the general user.

I like precise use of the correct words in any situation, but there is
no precise term in this case.   The *function* is a copy function
since the files remain on the original medium and are replicated in a
new location, but the term "copy" has not achieved any standard
status.

>upload or download would be when it involves a remote system (i.e., the
>cloud), which it does not.

For that matter, an upload or a download is also a copy function.  The
uploaded or downloaded files are replicated in another location, but
we don't use "copy" to describe uploading or downloading.

"Transfer" - a widely used term - is sorta incorrect since the files
are not transferred from one place to another.

>> If you extrapolate that to the "rest of the world", then 50% of the
>> rest of the world aren't concerned, thus disproving your claim.
>
>math fail.
>
>the reality is that most people aren't interested in waiting a half
>hour for their photos and videos to copy.

No, but most people aren't using cards that hold that many images, so
"most people" aren't at play here.  Very few people, in fact.

The wait time for a process to complete is minimal when transferring
files from a card to the computer compared to some of the other
processes in the workflow.

You used video as an example.  I just worked on a video in Adobe
Elements Premier.  The transfer from the card was a couple of minutes
at most (I didn't time it), but it took quite a bit of time to render
the edited video, and much longer to burn it to a DVD.

No particular problem, though.  When I know I'm going to do something
that takes time to complete, I start the process and go do something
else and come back later.  I don't sit there in front of the computer
watching it.  Perhaps you do, though.

--
Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida