From: nospam <nospam@nospam.invalid>
Subject: Re: CF cards apparently not dead yet
From: nospam <nospam@nospam.invalid>
Newsgroups: rec.photo.digital
Date: Sat, 02 Dec 2017 17:16:24 -0500
References: <ovnquv0fjr@news3.newsguy.com> <291120172155172901%nospam@nospam.invalid> <ovns9h1g4h@news3.newsguy.com> <291120172209102843%nospam@nospam.invalid> <ovnt8j0glb@news3.newsguy.com> <fp6v1d5cdqqtjp87njgo0gbkddantkdplm@4ax.com> <301120171254418909%nospam@nospam.invalid> <tu712d9i2a7ss45k5c7a5gfhe7dr2l1j56@4ax.com> <301120171946271329%nospam@nospam.invalid> <q1a12d9msklql1uenqv73qfdg3l647mbbs@4ax.com> <301120172122538513%nospam@nospam.invalid> <25i12d9kmctuhca9v12h2sdjiii8bsovi9@4ax.com> <ovv5g2$1p2n$1@gioia.aioe.org>
In article <ovv5g2$1p2n$1@gioia.aioe.org>, Ken Hart<kwhart1@frontier.com> wrote:

> >> move is another, although move means deleting the originals.
> >
> > No, the original is not deleted.  It is relocated.
> >
> > Try to think of this in simple terms.  You have an apple in your left
> > hand.  You move it, or transfer it, to your right hand.  The apple has
> > been relocated, but it has not been deleted.
>
> Yes, but...
>
> Your fruit in the hand analogy doesn't 'transfer' well to computers.

the analogy doesn't transfer at all. as i said before, it's bogus.

> In most of the file transfers I've seen (No, I don't claim to have seen
> EVERY type!), a file move or transfer is a two part operation: first the
> file is copied to the destination, then after verification that the copy
> worked, the original is erased.

correct (although there are exceptions, which i've mentioned).

> The apple has been moved or transferred to the other hand, but while the
> transfer or move was in progress, the apple existed in both hands. (A
> concept that the government has perfected years ago!)

not quite correct. the copy partially exists, growing as the copy
progresses.

if the copy fails or is cancelled by the user, then the partial copy is
what gets deleted, leaving the original untouched.

> (I only wish you had picked a banana or orange. You know that using an
> Apple is just going to start something!)

they're in season.

> Historically, upload and download referred to a remote system. That
> remote system was historically much larger and more capable than the
> home user's system (An Altair?). You uploaded _to_ the larger remote,
> and downloaded _from_ the  remote system.

correct.

> Following the theme of interacting with a larger, more powerful system,
> you would upload your photos from your camera to your computer.

not correct.

cameras and computers are peers.

normally, the camera shows up as external 'hard drive', as does the
memory card in a card reader, so it's just a simple copy to transfer
the photos, the same as copying files to/from another drive volume.

these days, cameras are usually smartphones and in many cases, more
powerful than the computer to which they are attached. also, photos are
frequently transferred automatically, without the user needing to do
anything.