From: Tony Cooper <tonycooper214@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: Why should I say "Cheese"?
Full headers:
From: Tony Cooper <tonycooper214@gmail.com>
Newsgroups: rec.photo.digital
Date: Mon, 04 Dec 2017 18:27:13 -0500
On Mon, 4 Dec 2017 16:28:08 -0500, PeterN<peter.new@verizon.net>
wrote:

>On 12/4/2017 6:44 AM, Whisky-dave wrote:
>> On Friday, 1 December 2017 16:25:04 UTC, peterN  wrote:
>

><snip>
>
>>> Some people like to look at their old school photos, for many reasons.
>>> And, no one forces you to buy the school photo.
>>
>> They did at my school my parents HAD to buy the photos and you could buy more if you wanted but
there was no choice in whether or not you could buy the photos.

>In many jurisdictions that would be illegal.

In my experience - my own school photos, my kid's school photos, and
my grandson's school photos - buying the photos was optional.  It
wasn't bad with my own school photos because individual photos weren't
that common in those days (Some time after daguerreotypes and before
digital photography).  Those school photos are the only ones around of
just me.

The school photos were the photos that went into the Yearbook, but
Yearbooks were only done in high school in my time and my kid's time.
Now, grade schools have yearbooks.  Maybe kindergartens.

Similar to school photos, there are sports photos.  My grandsons
participate in baseball, football, and wrestling, and we are offered
team and individual photos at a price for every season.  We never buy
them because I'm the photographer for this family.

I was in a department store with a photographer's studio a few days
ago.  There was quite a crowd of people waiting to have the family
portrait and Christmas card photos taken.  Made me think of the days
when we went to Olan-Mills for these.

--
Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida