From: Mayayana <mayayana@invalid.nospam>
Subject: Re: B&H is sharing your data! Sharing your DATA!!!
Full headers:
From: "Mayayana" <mayayana@invalid.nospam>
Newsgroups: rec.photo.digital
Date: Thu, 7 Dec 2017 10:37:08 -0500
"RichA"<rander3128@gmail.com> wrote

Most of these sites have fine-print legal boiler-plate alluding to things
like this.  Or not, if not, the guy might sue.  But has no one noticed after
having dealt with a site, all of a sudden you get spammed by a half-dozen
other sites who could only have gotten say your email from the site you
dealt with?  As for Dpreview and all other sites, I figure hundreds of
little minion are frantically going over data gleaned from dozens of
cookies, desperately trying to figure out how to sqeeze more money out of
us.

https://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/60471676

It keeps getting worse.

https://freedom-to-tinker.com/2017/11/15/no-boundaries-exfiltration-...

   And yes, there's a lot of sharing offline. There's also a lot
of direct tracking. A typical commercial site will use numerous
tracking bugs to track what you do for numerous ad servers.
Look up "audience pixel".

  Example: You look at a camera and give them your email
to purchase something. Google/Doubleclick, Yahoo, Facebook
and various other ad servers then record you (through code
snippets on the camera store page). A half dozen spyware/ad
companies now know you thought about buying a camera.
The camera store then works throuh their accounts to
do things like show you ads when you log into Facebook.
That's the more obvious intrusion. But those ad servers are
holding all the data. The camera store knows you thought
about buying a camera. Google and Facebook and lots of
others know everything you did today... and yeasterday...
and the day before. If you allow this stuff then Google
even customizes search returns based on what they think
you're interesed in. They can use all that data to target
ads at other sites.

  It's crazy intrusive. But if you put up with it then it's
your own fault. You don't need to put up with it. And you
don't have to put up with a blizzard of ads or bouncing
cartoons on websites or auto-loading videos. Spend a few
minutes to do a few simple things:

1) Set cookies to expire when you close the browser.

2) Set up a HOSTS file to block spying and ads. Even a small,
simple HOSTS file will block nearly all tracking and ads because
it's all done by a few companies. The ads you see are not on
the webpages you visit in the first place. They're injected
by remote servers you never chose to visit. By blocking those
servers you block both the spying and the ads.

3) Use an extension like NoScript to minimize script in the
browser. Only enable the script that's absolutely necessary
for a site to work.

  If you spend 30-60 minutes figuring out those 3 things
you'll pretty much eliminate ads online, eliminate spyware
most tracking online, and greatly increase online security.
(Virtually all online security risks require script to operate.)

  I rarely see an ad. Nothing pops up or moves when I
visit websites. Once in awhile I have to partially enable
script. For the most part I don't. I use another dozen or
so techniques for even better security and privacy. But
the more privacy you have the more dysfunctional
some sites will become. The 3 items above are sufficient
to cover 95% of online intrusion and looney tunes websites
that jump around so much they prevent you reading the
content.