Next <
From: Mayayana <mayayana@invalid.nospam>
Subject: Re: OT A New Optical Illusion Was Just Discovered, And It's Breaking Our Brains
Full headers:
From: "Mayayana" <mayayana@invalid.nospam>
Date: Tue, 12 Dec 2017 19:16:42 -0500
"Whisky-dave"<> wrote >Depth perception, to render 3-D
> vision, depends on the play of light. I don't see any
> need to make up new mechanisms to explain that
> phenomenon.

| Where is the 3D in this ?

  We see a corner because the meeting of the two lines
looks like shading from a 3-D object. It's the same
effect used on computer OS buttons and windows.
Put a black line on two sides and a white line on two
sides and it looks like the button is either depressed
or protruding.

  In other words, this optical illusion is resulting from
the mind's eye guessing at the object based on the
information it has. The clues point to a 3-D corner
with lighting coming from one side, so the mind
completes the image by squaring the corners.