From: Mayayana <mayayana@invalid.nospam>
Subject: Re: Adobe Stock Images pays photo $0.18 for using his photo
Full headers:
From: "Mayayana" <mayayana@invalid.nospam>
Date: Wed, 13 Dec 2017 10:13:00 -0500
"RichA"<> wrote

    I wonder what rights the subscription
gives to people. There must be a difference
between $80 for a photo and $3 for a photo for
a month. But how does it work? If I print booklets
using this month's image at $3 I can still sell
those booklets next month. But what if I use
the image on a website? Do I have to subscribe
to that image every month?

  Their terms seem murky. From what I can gather
it seems to be something like an installment plan:
   You get use of the images for cheap and can use
a given number within a given month, but lose all
rights if you end the subscription. Still, unless I'm
missing something that looks pretty good, at least
for paper printing. Maybe not so good for Web
designers. A company that prints booklets could use,
say, 5 images this month and then switch next month,
never having to actually buy the images.

  Personally I usually find what I need for things like
website work at wikimedia.

  People need to realize that while they may love
Adobe software, the company is out to make money
and they've never displayed anything like warm
fuzzy love of artists. They price gouge for their products
because they have a near monopoly. Adobe have
distributed Acrobat Reader *very* aggressively in
an attempt to own the standard for office docs, so
that they can sell full Acrobat for a ridiculously high
price. They've done similar with Flash: Trying their best
to get it on every computer so that they could own
webpage standards. Flash has been the biggest security
risk online for years, but that doesn't stop them.
 When Flash began to lose popularity (and with it
the overpriced software they sold to Web developers to
work in flash) they came out with Adobe AIR. Like
Microsoft's Silverlight, it was another brash move to
popularize webpages in the form of compiled software
that they owned the tools for. (That's what Flash is.)

  And of course there's Photoshop. Charging 6 times the
price of Paint Shop Pro for nearly the same thing, and
now that they've got commercial artists hooked they've
forced them into rental.

   Adobe is also an active member
of the business Software Alliance (BSA). The BSA is
a sort of swat team that raids companies looking for
illegal licenses. Like the IRS, they offer rewards for tips
from disgruntled employees. There was a famous story
about BSA tactics in connection with Microsoft:

  Member companies use the BSA to avoid getting their
own hands dirty in the media.

   Adobe is probably not the worst tech company. There
are plenty of dubious operations to choose from:
Microsoft, Apple, Facebook, Google, Amazon... None
of them seem to have a vision that goes beyond
money and megalomania. Adobe is no worse. But
love of their software is no reason to assume they're
nice people or good business partners.