From: Arthur Wood <arthurwood@bimmerfest.com>
Subject: Re: Is there an easy way to stop this light scatter ghosting in all my photos & videos of engine valves?
Full headers:
From: Arthur Wood <arthurwood@bimmerfest.com>
Newsgroups: rec.photo.digital,rec.video.desktop
Date: Fri, 15 Dec 2017 06:23:18 -0000 (UTC)
Eric Stevens wrote:

> I think you mean cams rather than valves.
>
> It looks to me as though the highlighted parts give rise to a strak of
> light at an angle to the frame of the image. In some of the shots
> (e.g. bay 10) streaks can be seen emenating from highlights other than
> the cams. I suspect the problem may be due to a smear on the camera
> lens. I suggest you try it with another camera.

You are correct in noticing that all the streaks of light are at the same
45 degree angle no matter how the camera is held.

That's why I think it may be some "physics" principle involved.

There are many other photos taken with the same camera but under daylight
lighting where these streaks do not happen so it's not the camera.

Some of those photos are here.
http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1181089

And here:
http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1181289

So it's not the camera or the lens except under those lighting conditions.

I was assuming there is something weird in the physics of the lighting that
causes those sleet like streaks always at 45 degree angles and far from
being a mere reflection.