Subject: Re: Is there an easy way to stop this light scatter ghosting in allmy photos & videos of engine valves?
Full headers:
From: PeterN <"peter,newdelete"@deleteverizon.net>
Newsgroups: rec.photo.digital,rec.video.desktop
Subject: Re: Is there an easy way to stop this light scatter ghosting in all
my photos & videos of engine valves?
Date: Fri, 15 Dec 2017 23:14:41 -0500
On 12/15/2017 1:18 AM, Arthur Wood wrote:
> PeterN wrote:
>
>>   I think that your answer is a good response to a real problem.
>> Some here may have encountered it and you provided an answer that would
>> help them.
>
> I see the solution is a "diffuser" but what's the "problem".
> What I mean by that is why does the light look like it's raining?
>
> For whatever reason, it's like "sleet" at a 45 degree angle.
> Where is all that "sleet" of light coming from?
>
> And why always a 45-degree angle?
> I assumed that some "physics" principle is being invoked.
>
> No matter how I held the camera, I still got a 45-degree "sleet" of light.
>
> Take this one example from far away:
> https://www.turboimagehost.com/p/36857795/engine_bay4.jpg.html
>
> Compared with this at 90 degrees:
> https://www.turboimagehost.com/p/36857797/engine_bay6.jpg.html
>
> Compared with this at a closeup:
> https://www.turboimagehost.com/p/36857801/engine_bay10.jpg.html
>
> All have this "sleet" of light at the same angle.
>
> Why the 45-degree "sleet" angle in /all/ the photos?
>
> I realize the /solution/ is a diffuser but what's the physics problem?
> Is there a physics principle that causes the always 45 degree sleet?

The Duck gave you a pretty good practical resolution. To e e it looks
like a point source lighting problem. u.e. your lens resolving power is
insufficient. Diffusion breaks up the point source lightning,

IOW Mathematically an object may be considered a point source if its
angular size, is much smaller than the resolving power of the lens:
Ether  diffusion, or a lens with higher resolving power should solve
your problem

--
PeterN