From: Eric Stevens <eric.stevens@sum.co.nz>
Subject: Re: Adobe Stock Images pays photo $0.18 for using his photo
Full headers:
From: Eric Stevens <eric.stevens@sum.co.nz>
Newsgroups: rec.photo.digital
Date: Tue, 19 Dec 2017 12:28:18 +1300
On Mon, 18 Dec 2017 17:17:00 -0500, "Mayayana"<mayayana@invalid.nospam> wrote:

>"sobriquet"<dohduhdah@yahoo.com> wrote
>
>| I've been using pirated copies of photoshop for a long time
>
>  I wouldn't go around talking about it if I were you.
>Though I wonder how much Adobe care. Like MS Office,
>they make their money by pricegouging commercial
>customers for an industry-standard product. For those
>customers, the high cost of using Adobe pays for itself.
>Most others are unlikely to use it. (Aside from a few
>suckers like nospam who think the only way to edit
>photos properly is to buy the very latest version of
>PS.)
>
>  Another way of putting that: If you made money from
>using PS then using it illegally wouldn't be worth the risk.
>If you don't make money from it then you're not likely
>to ever be an Adobe customer. I wouldn't be surprised
>if a lot of college students use it illegally. And I wouldn't
>be surprised if Adobe likes that. As Bill Gates once said
>about China: "If they're going to steal software we'd
>rather they steal our software. We'll get them to pay for
>it later."

I don't make money out of Photoshop and for what it costs to rent CC I
find I save money. I have several times said that for years I
variously tried and used all kinds of image processing software in an
attempt to achieve what could be done in PS. It had dawned on me just
how much I was spending trying not to buy PS when PS CC came along.
Now I've got it all in one compatible package and I will never
willingly go back.

Soubriquet talks of 100,000 down loads but I wonder how many of them
get to be used. I know several people who have tried bootleg PS and
given it up because they couldn't understand it. I suspect that many
of these downloads have been made simply because they could.
Then what ... ?
--

Regards,

Eric Stevens