From: Bill W <>
Subject: Re: Adobe Stock Images pays photo $0.18 for using his photo
Full headers:
From: Bill W <>
Date: Wed, 20 Dec 2017 19:38:20 -0800
On Wed, 20 Dec 2017 22:17:55 -0500, nospam<nospam@nospam.invalid>

>> >what kind of errors? maybe the drive is failing.
>> That's what it looks like. Running chkdsk takes so long I had to
>> cancel it, and running the disk check from Windows also takes forever.
>a quick smart test might show some relevant info, but a full smart test
>(which can take many hours) would be more telling. on the other hand,
>if the drive is failing, the more you use it and run tests, the closer
>to total failure you get.

Agreed. I've read that chkdsk can take days, even when working
properly. The thing is, the original problem was that the HDD was
stuck at 100% for at least 20 minutes after I booted, and the laptop
was essentially unusable for all that time. So that poor HDD was doing
a lot of grinding even though I wasn't actually doing anything. The
good thing is that I was forced to finally find the cause of that, and
now it's working pretty well for a 7 year old computer.

>> I already have the new drive, so all I need to do is get the data onto
>> that drive, but cloning won't work with the software I've tried. I'm
>> thinking to try a system backup, and then restore to the new drive,
>> but I don't know if that will work either.
>don't you have a backup of this drive?

Just an older one. This is not a computer that I use for much of
anything - home theater & travel, and nothing important is on it that
isn't on at least two other computers, both of which are backed up

>> Just doing a fresh Windows install on the new drive isn't such a big
>> deal on the laptop - there's very little software to reinstall. I just
>> have no idea where the Windows software key might be.
>if it's win10, you don't need a key. otherwise, it can be extracted.

Yep, I finally Googled the issue. It's not an obstacle after all.

>> The reason I didn't consider a failing drive, and kept fighting this
>> is that there are no other signs of it. No crashes, no errors in
>> normal use, nothing at all.
>drives can fail in mysterious and sometimes sudden ways.
>one of mine randomly decides it's read-only. an unmount/mount fixes it,
>at least for a while. needless to say, it's queued for replacement.

I already decided I'm fighting this for no good reason. I'll just
fresh install to the new drive. Nothing else makes any sense at all.