From: Mayayana <mayayana@invalid.nospam>
Subject: Re: Adobe Stock Images pays photo $0.18 for using his photo
From: "Mayayana" <mayayana@invalid.nospam>
Newsgroups: rec.photo.digital
Date: Thu, 21 Dec 2017 11:58:30 -0500
References: <00942a15-c476-4273-9671-c1ef61328784@googlegroups.com> <p0rg46$1tqe$1@gioia.aioe.org> <131220171132354803%nospam@nospam.invalid> <d8ec4ebe-4153-448c-a71b-43f86105871c@googlegroups.com> <181220171608156123%nospam@nospam.invalid> <e2bafadf-81f6-45a2-bd23-34a8dc0ed858@googlegroups.com> <p19er6$101g$1@gioia.aioe.org> <f6jg3d1m0i3rtes3tmhtvgs68ul7a6jp12@4ax.com> <p19rj5$1fqt$1@gioia.aioe.org> <p1com601o57@news4.newsguy.com> <p1dv0l$1cnf$1@gioia.aioe.org> <5bpl3d95armlctoa717dqqa240j3avi82l@4ax.com> <886951db-189a-4e0e-8549-9d47e106c6d6@googlegroups.com> <p1ge1h$10q7$1@gioia.aioe.org> <f8231a48-55d2-49d0-98b6-4c09efe35e82@googlegroups.com>
"Whisky-dave"<whisky.dave@gmail.com> wrote

| X does mean 10 in roman numerals and it;s still basically the same sort of
unix under the hood so no real reason to change the name for the sake of it.
| MS jumerd from 8.1 to W10  and they charged for the update unlike Apple
who made it free and since then all system upgrades/updates have been free.

  I wouldn't brag too much about free Mac updates.
They charge through the nose for the hardware and
trap you in their shopping mall. Then they break hardware
and force you to buy new, overpriced gear that can only
be had from cooperating manufacturers. That's kind of
like getting a free oil change from Nissan for my pickup
but being forced to buy only their brand of muffler,
for $400 instead of $60.
  Apple's not sitting on $3/4 trillion offshore because
they're generous with their product.

  In general MS haven't charged for Win10. People have
had to block Microsoft trying to impose it. Most of the
talk in the Win10 group for the first few months was
"How do I stop this thing. It's trying to convert my
Windows 7." These days it's more about forced updates
that break things.
   MS want everyone to be on their services. MS takes
a cut of 30% on sales of Metro apps and they're trying
to sell various services through Win10. The *hope* is
that they'll make a lot more money and won't need to
sell Windows itself. Though OEMs and corporate will
still pay.

  In fact, it seems clear that Microsoft have been inspired
by Apple. Apple makes over $1B/year just through iTunes.
That's not windows people. That's Mac prisoners buying
that stuff. Microsoft sees the money Apple's making and
they want in. But Microsoft have never been good at making
products that people want. Only software. So their phones
and tablets are kaput and their services make little
sense on computers. (Even Apple is having to accept
that. People don't shop and diddle so much on computers.
They mostly work. So Apple is now coming out with a
system to make their phone/tablet "apps" compatible
with MacOS so that they can at least pretend to have
a viable app market on computers.)

  Win10 is actually an interesting example of random
versions, though. Win2000 is v. 5.0. XP is v. 5.1.
Vista jumps to v. 6.0. That makes some sense. There
were basic changes and new API functions. Then
Win7 is v. 6.1. It did little more than add an option
for less nags. But Win8 is v. 6.2 and 8.1 is 6.3.
Win8 is much like 7, but it has Metro stuck on top
and the original version tries to make people stay
in Metro. So it's really not a 1/10-point transition.
Then with Win10 they jumped to 10. As near as I
can tell Win10 is little more than Vista/7/8 with
added spyware and a clear pipe to pump ads and
data collection from and to home base. Yet the
actual Windows version jumped 4 points. (Not the
marketing name but rather the actual kernel version.
Though even the marketing version skipped a point.
More Apple envy. Microsoft wanted to have "10", too.)

   It's a combination of minor changes and major
marketing. Which they're free to do. There's really
no official definition of an update or an upgrade.
Apple's free to go from 10.1 to 10.2 and break half the
software as they go, while MS is free to go from 6.3
to 10.0 with hardly any core change.

 At the other extreme, Firefox and Chrome are in
a race to absurdity, with function-breaking updates
every few weeks. But the winner is WINE. They have
a scheduled update release every 10 days. That's
been going on for over 20 years now. It's like one
giant teenager dork project that they all just like
to keep playing with. I think it took them something
like 15 years just to reach v. 1.0. The Linux people
think it's noble to downplay versions, so they come
out with things like v. .9.331.2114.67 and announce
that it includes a long-awaited fix for ZIP drives
opening unexpectedly. :)

  And who cares, really? Most of the WINE-os seem
to be mainly interested in getting their favorite
Windows games running on Linux. The viability of
WINE as an interpretive layer for windows software
in general will probably never materialize.