From: Bill W <>
Subject: Re: Adobe Stock Images pays photo $0.18 for using his photo
Full headers:
From: Bill W <>
Date: Thu, 21 Dec 2017 16:29:26 -0800
On Thu, 21 Dec 2017 07:54:54 -0500, "Mayayana"<mayayana@invalid.nospam> wrote:

>"Whisky-dave"<> wrote
>| Maybe you're cloning the error too. Like replacing a
>| worn car tyre with another worn car tyre.
>  There's no way to give him helpful advice. What
>we know is that he's getting a report of errors.
>From what clone software? What errors? Did he
>try software to test the disk? We don't know any
>of that. Did he check for disk errors before doing
>a clone? Apparently not.

If you right click on a drive, then go to properties and then tools,
you can tell Windows to check the disk. It tells me that there is no
need to check it because Windows has not found any errors. So if
that's not accurate, that's a Windows problem, right? So is my disk
bad or not? Chkdsk did not report errors (it was just taking too
long), nor did sfc. The clone softwares were Easeus and Samsung's data
migration tool included with the SSD.

>   What we do know is that BillW doesn't maintain
>adequate backup or relevant disk images. We also
>know that his computer is a mess, running at full
>tilt for 20 minutes at boot, yet he never stopped to
>check that out.

Phew. You sure are seeing a lot of words that I never wrote. I have
been trying to find that problem for a very long time. At some point,
it crossed my mind that it's just a very slow drive, and that an SSD
might help. And as I mentioned, any files I actually need are also on
other computers that are backed up daily. To be honest, if that laptop
burst into flames, I wouldn't care at all. The only thing I'd lose is
the hardware.

Anyway, in Windows there is the task manager, and then the resource
monitor. Something was doing lots of read/writes to that hard disk,
but neither of those Windows tools would tell me exactly what. In
Resource Monitor, I could not determine the executable, but I did see
some filepaths that had references to software that had been
completely deleted years ago. To make a long story a little shorter, I
uninstalled all of the Toshiba software that came with the computer.
They were all thing that I considered harmless and probably useful,
but there were items that talked about HDD recovery and health monitor
etc., so those are the ones I suspected. Uninstalling them took care
of the problem, but I saw none of those executables running in Task

>He didn't check for disk errors before
>doing the clone. Why's he even doing the clone?
>It started out that he said Windows was wasting
>his day. But it now seems that he was trying to
>move an untidy, neglected Windows install to a new
>disk without even bothering to do the slightest
>housecleaning. He's doing a clone because he
>couldn't be bothered with backup, disk images,
>basic computer maintenance, or installing a new copy
>of Windows. For whatever reason, he was trying
>to copy an existing calamity to a new disk, quickly
>and without breaking a sweat.

Why is that a problem? I've been doing this for 20+ years. Quickly is
good. Installing a new copy of Windows is a lazy workaround, not a

>  And we know that he blames all the hassle on
>his belief that Windows is nothing but problems.
>  Nospam, as usual, is offering his typical mix of
>arbitrarily collected information and bravado, despite
>not having nearly enough information to offer helpful
>    BillW has decided to just put in a new drive and
>reinstall. He won't have to worry about clone errors
>in that case. That sounds like a good idea to me.
>  If he's going to go 50,000 miles without an oil change
>and then blame the car, don't argue with him when
>he decides the solution is a new car. Whether his car
>now just needs oil or needs a ring job, he's not going to
>deal with it anyway. With a new car he'll get at least
>another 20,000 miles of dependable driving before he
>ruins the next engine. And he clearly doesn't mind
>wasting money.
>   I like to be friends with people like that. They
>regularly give away valuable items that they think
>are possessed by devils. :)

You appear to think that a clean reinstall, which again I have never
done, fixes everything, but that is pure nonsense. If a person does
that, and then reinstalls all of his software, how does that help if
the software is the problem? That could be a waste of days.