From: Mayayana <mayayana@invalid.nospam>
Subject: Re: Adobe Stock Images pays photo $0.18 for using his photo
Full headers:
From: "Mayayana" <mayayana@invalid.nospam>
Date: Thu, 21 Dec 2017 20:08:01 -0500
"Bill W"<> wrote

| If you right click on a drive, then go to properties and then tools,
| you can tell Windows to check the disk. It tells me that there is no
| need to check it because Windows has not found any errors. So if
| that's not accurate, that's a Windows problem, right? So is my disk
| bad or not? Chkdsk did not report errors (it was just taking too
| long), nor did sfc. The clone softwares were Easeus and Samsung's data
| migration tool included with the SSD.
   If you suspect the disk I'd check it with something
like a utility made by that company. They're available
from the companies, or sometimes on things like
Hiren's boot disk or UBCD. That checks whether there's
physical damage. Not all of those are dependable but
if you can find a utility from the disk company it should
 be trustworthy.

  Chkdsk can check for errors, but should probably
be run at boot rather than while Windows is running.
I don't really use that. As I understand it, it tests only
for data issues, not hardware issues, but I'm not

   If you end up with no evidence of damage then the
question would be why Easus is failing. Software won't
cause that. Hardware problems or corrupt filesystem
data, yes. But not software problems. Easus doesn't
know about anything like missing files. I've never used
that product so I don't know how dependable it is.

| At some point,
| it crossed my mind that it's just a very slow drive, and that an SSD
| might help.

   Not 20 minutes worth. There have to be things running that
shouldn't be. Or occasionally something like an incompatible driver
can do that sort of thing.

| Anyway, in Windows there is the task manager, and then the resource
| monitor. Something was doing lots of read/writes to that hard disk,
| but neither of those Windows tools would tell me exactly what. In
| Resource Monitor, I could not determine the executable, but I did see
| some filepaths that had references to software that had been
| completely deleted years ago.

  Those won't tell you much. Do you know about the
Sysinternals tools? Process Monitor will tell you what's
writing to disk in real time. Process Explorer will tell
you what's running and what those processes have
loaded. Autoruns will tell you what's set to run at
startup. There shouldn't be much. Printers, display
applets, Firefox or Libre Office quick start... that stuff
is all wasteful crap. Though there are some things
that are hard to avoid. for instance, Skype is a very
intrusive mess. But if you want to run Skype you
have no choice. It will insist on running all the time.

   The services applet will tell you what services
are running. The Toshiba crap is probably running as
multiple services. Cleaning up services can be time-
consuming the first time, but it's worth it. If you're
not sure what you can disable you can try
But anything like printer or hardware utilities shouldn't
need to run. Likewise music players, Apple crap, services
installed by software, etc.
  That's the surface level. Then you usually won't need
a lot of the other things, and some are security risks.
If you're not networked you can shut off Server,
Workstation, Remote Desktop, Remote Registry and
numerous other network-related services. I also disable
Windows update and background intelligent transfer (BITS).
I don't want Windows doing unsupervised calling home or
changing of system files.

   One last category is browser plugins, shell extensions, etc.
That should cause a slow boot but can clog things up.
Sometimes that stuff will sneak in with software installs.
Autoruns will show you shell extensions. Your browser can
show you if you've allowed anything like spyware toolbars.

  With all that cleaned up it should only take seconds to

| To make a long story a little shorter, I
| uninstalled all of the Toshiba software that came with the computer.
| They were all thing that I considered harmless and probably useful,
| but there were items that talked about HDD recovery and health monitor
| etc., so those are the ones I suspected. Uninstalling them took care
| of the problem, but I saw none of those executables running in Task
| Manager.

 So now it boots fast and clones OK? I wouldn't
be surprised about Toshiba. Ditto for Samsung or
any other hardware company. None of that crap
needs to run but they all seem to want to get their
foot in the door.

|> For whatever reason, he was trying
| >to copy an existing calamity to a new disk, quickly
| >and without breaking a sweat.
| Why is that a problem? I've been doing this for 20+ years. Quickly is
| good.

  You should have a good, fresh disk image with software
installed and then only need to copy over your data.
Especially when there seems to be a problem. But even
if not, a new disk is a good time to start fresh, and if you
have disk images it only takes a few minutes.

 | You appear to think that a clean reinstall, which again I have never
| done, fixes everything, but that is pure nonsense.
| If a person does
| that, and then reinstalls all of his software, how does that help if
| the software is the problem? That could be a waste of days.

  I'm not saying that. I'm saying that if you're not going
to straighten things out and don't have disk image
backup then a clean install will be a good idea. It's
very unlikely that you have some kind of fatal problem
with the software you use. That would have shown up
a long time ago. But problems can accumulate with an
existing install. In other words, you've had trouble with
the existing install. It may or may not be corrupt. It may
or may not have a lot of "crufty" junkware that's got installed
over time. So if you don't have a clean disk image then...
if it were me... I'd reinstall fresh, set up all the software
and drivers, get a new, squeaky clean system, then make
a disk image for future use, so that you'll never need to
reinstall again.