From: RJH <>
Subject: Re: iMac Pro - available to order very soon!
Full headers:
From: RJH <>
Date: Tue, 26 Dec 2017 16:04:17 +0000
On 26/12/2017 14:38, David B. wrote:
> On 25/12/2017 05:30, RichA wrote:
>> On Thursday, 14 December 2017 15:08:10 UTC-5, Davoud  wrote:
>>> Whisky-dave:
>>> You understand that "expensive" and "lot of money" are relative to
>>> one's desires, needs, and means, right?
>>> As I see it the iMac Pro is cheap. Moving up a little from the base
>>> model, a model equipped with a 3.0GHz 10-core Intel Xeon W processor,
>>> 64GB of RAM, a 4TB SSD, and a Radeon Pro Vega 64 with 16GB of RAM costs
>>> $9100 after an organizational discount.
>>> Compare to an SE/30, a quite capable machine in 1989. With 4MB of RAM
>>> and an 80MB HD it cost $6569, which is $13,000 in 2017 dollars.
>>> Thus a machine so powerful that its specs can't be compared to the
>>> older machine costs only 70% of what the older machine cost.
>>> Perhaps a better comparison would be a supercomputer such as the Cray,
>>> priced in the $millions. The new iMac far outperforms many of the early
>>> Crays. Cheap.
>> You can build a pretty respectable PC for $6.5k too.  But IMO, people
>> would do well to consider the screen as a lens in a camera system and
>> invest there.
> How well would the screen available in this package compare to an iMac's
> 27-inch iMac with Retina 4K display screen?

You'd be looking to spend far upwards of £1000 to get a similarly
specced screen. Whether you'd notice or appreciate it is another matter
- I went from 27" non-Retina to Retina and I'm not sure how much I
notice the difference. Close up, though, and it's chalk/cheese.

> This seems like quite good value.

Doesn't look too bad. But very different to an iMac Pro.

Cheers, Rob