From: Bill W <nothing@nowhere.com>
Subject: Re: Upgrade report - SSD & photo software
From: Bill W <nothing@nowhere.com>
Newsgroups: rec.photo.digital
Date: Tue, 26 Dec 2017 20:43:22 -0800
On Wed, 27 Dec 2017 15:10:10 +1100, Noons<wizofoz2k@yahoo.com.au>
wrote:

>On 27/12/2017 7:27 @wiz, Bill W wrote:
>
>> But... Windows still sucks. I think. Repeated crashes and forced
>> restarts, especially when installing software, but at other random
>> times, also. At the same time, this laptop is not supported for
>> anything past Win 7 - no chipset updates at all. So if you do hav > some interest in trying the
same thing, check to see what OS your
>> laptop supports. I think you can force Win 10 onto just about anything
>> that's not an antique, but you should expect problems.
>
>My Samsung laptop can't be updated to Win10, apparently the wifi chipset
>it uses is not "compatible" with it, whatever that means for Microslop
>nowadays.
>The end result is it will stay on win7Pro-64 for the foreseeable future.
>  Which will include an SSD for sure at some stage.
>
>My work laptop is on Win10, it's a recent HP.  And it needs an update
>almost every week.  Good thing it's my employerpaying for the downloads,
>because I wouldn't!
>
>Same for my desktop: the 3 year old mobo apparently is not "compatible"
>either.
>
>Microslop and wheir W10 can go jump in a lake, I'll stick to 7Pro-64.

The Windows update checker flagged endless compatibility issues with
my laptop, but I installed Win 10 anyway, and then spent a good amount
of time finding drivers, including for the wifi. I did get everything
working, but it might not be worth the trouble for lots of people. You
need to have some time on your hands.