From: android <here@there.was>
Subject: Re: Upgrade report - SSD & photo software
From: android <here@there.was>
Newsgroups: rec.photo.digital
Date: Wed, 27 Dec 2017 12:29:27 +0100
On 2017-12-27 08:42:22 +0000, Bill W said:

> On Wed, 27 Dec 2017 08:26:18 +0100, android<here@there.was> wrote:
>
>> On 2017-12-26 20:27:49 +0000, Bill W said:
>>
>>> I finally gave up on the cloning, and did a fresh install of Win 10 on
>>> a new SSD. The point of this was to see if I could rejuvenate a 7 or 8
>>> year old laptop, and to see how much better LR would work with only
>>> the change from HDD to an SSD. The laptop is maxed out at 8 GB memory,
>>> and has a 2.2 Ghz Intel CPU.
>>>
>>> The main test I used was the spot removal function, which was usable,
>>> but terribly crippled before the changes. After choosing a large-ish
>>> target area, I would move the source area around to see how easily it
>>> would follow the mouse movement. Before the SSD, it would take
>>> forever. So the verdict is that the SSD made a huge difference, and is
>>> definitely worth a try if you have a PC that seems a bit sluggish
>>> working with photo software. Spot removal now works nearly as well as
>>> on my far better spec'd desktop. It's like having a new laptop.
>>>
>>> But... Windows still sucks. I think. Repeated crashes and forced
>>> restarts, especially when installing software, but at other random
>>> times, also. At the same time, this laptop is not supported for
>>> anything past Win 7 - no chipset updates at all. So if you do have
>>> some interest in trying the same thing, check to see what OS your
>>> laptop supports. I think you can force Win 10 onto just about anything
>>> that's not an antique, but you should expect problems. Mine seem to
>>> have diminished considerably. Maybe Windows fixes itself. And if
>>> you're happy with an earlier version of Windows, an SSD will almost
>>> certainly be a huge improvement.
>>
>> I have W10 on my Acer notebook, a c2d with 8GB RAM... It's unbelivable
>> how slow it is compared to my old Mac Mini, another c2d but with OSX
>> Snow Leopard and 3GB in use.
>
> Mine is also a c2d. Stuff an SSD in yours. We can compare results.

Won't happen! The CPU goes on like crazy with lots of Windows processes
craving its attention. I'll keep it for on the go stuff that can't be
done on the phone or needs Windows. Got me a better Mini that I could
stuff like a turkey with 10GB RAM and might put a SSD in that later if
I can train it to take a nap properly...
--
teleportation kills