From: Bill W <nothing@nowhere.com>
Subject: Re: Upgrade report - SSD & photo software
From: Bill W <nothing@nowhere.com>
Newsgroups: rec.photo.digital
Date: Wed, 27 Dec 2017 08:47:11 -0800
On Wed, 27 Dec 2017 12:32:38 +0100, android<here@there.was> wrote:

>On 2017-12-27 09:27:02 +0000, David Taylor said:
>
>> On 27/12/2017 07:26, android wrote:
>> []
>>
>>> I have W10 on my Acer notebook, a c2d with 8GB RAM... It's unbelivable
>>> how slow it is compared to my old Mac Mini, another c2d but with OSX
>>> Snow Leopard and 3GB in use.
>>
>> Win-10 shouldn't be slow, especially with 8 GB memory.  I would check
>> for any mis-configuration or unwanted processes (especially if it's a
>> vendor's Win-10 rather than a plain version from Microsoft without all
>> the junk-ware!).  Use the Task Manager to see what's eating all the
>> CPU, memory, disk I/O etc.
>
>I have. It's Windows mostly.

Yes, that's the same thing I saw, but it wasn't accurate. As David
said, check for installed software from Acer. My problem was the
Toshiba software. It's not needed, and after I removed all of it, the
laptop was fine, even with the HDD which happened to have bad sectors.
The software I suspect was some backup or disk recovery software, and
one other that was also disk related. The SSD was icing on the cake,
and sped things up considerably.