From: nospam <nospam@nospam.invalid>
Subject: Re: Tamron wants to thank you for being a loyal buyer
Full headers:
From: nospam <nospam@nospam.invalid>
Newsgroups: rec.photo.digital
Date: Wed, 27 Dec 2017 16:23:34 -0500
In article<p2112l0gag@news7.newsguy.com>, PeterN
<"peter,newdelete"@deleteverizon.net> wrote:

> >> Do they have four worth having?
> >
> > yes
>
> Which ones.

90mm macro is a classic, with outstanding image quality. highly
recommended. the newer version is stabilized, while purists prefer the
original.
180mm macro also a classic and also highly recommended.
28-75mm is inexpensive and excellent for the price, especially for aps.
200-500mm is also excellent.

they also have some duds. the 200-400mm is not very good.

> Some of the guys in my CC have them, and are satisfied. One
> was really thrilled with his Tamron 70-200, until I lent him my Nikon.

it's also less expensive than the nikon version.

> The cost of a Tamron is considerably less than a Tamron with the same
> focal length and max aperture.

so you say.

i'm quite sure the prices are much closer than you think, most likely
the same.

> A couple of the guys have APS C cameras,

only a couple? it must be a small camera club.

> And find them great for travel.

what about the ones who stay home?

> I personally the 150-600, and for focus tracking it felt slower than my
> 80-400. At Photo-Expo last year, I had a discussion with the Tamron
> sales reps, who finally agreed that it was indeed slow on my D800. But
> they insisted it worked well with the D800 earlier in the day. Yet One
> of my friends, who shoots with a Canon, never had an issue with it.

autofocus speeds are sometimes slower, but not overly so.

what matters is the image quality.