Next <
Subject: Re: Weirdness of camera pricing
Full headers:
From: PeterN <"peter,newdelete">
Date: Wed, 27 Dec 2017 21:08:33 -0500
On 12/26/2017 11:11 PM, Noons wrote:
> On 26/12/2017 2:16 @wiz, RichA wrote:
>> Olympus's E-M10III, a lesser camera than the E-M5II, is now $100.00
>> more expensive (in Canada) because of discounts on the E-M5II. This
>> kind of price difference is the strange part of the camera world.
>> Pentax's admittedly overpriced KP costs more than the vastly
>> higher-spec'd K3II.  Age of models is the key thing here. Though you
>> don't see this happening much with Canon an Nikon and Sony has so many
>> models that they all blur at the mid-end.
> And that is why I've jumped off thios madness of constant upgrading.
> My current digital camera is a EM5II and it will stay that way for a
> looooong time!

Warning: OT mini rant:
That is true about a lot of things: On a much smaller level, It helped
my business image, to wear the latest trend in ties. When the latest in
fashion ties went out of fashion, I kept them in my closet until they
came back into fashion. (which they did.) I now have several hundred
ties that are going to the Salvation Army.

Back OT. If a piece of equipment is doing a satisfactory job, keep it.
For me photography, and production of images is the fun. For others, the
fun may be collecting cameras and lenses. Some spend over ten grand for
a lens that gets used, maybe two days a year. I won't criticize them for
it. it's their money and they can do as they like with it, so long they
are not using it to hurt me.
IOW I like the "madness of upgrading." I keeps the prices of cameras I
like to user affordable for me.