From: nospam <nospam@nospam.invalid>
Subject: Re: Apple cuts $50 off price for replacment phone batteries, sheepishly offers apology
From: nospam <nospam@nospam.invalid>
Newsgroups: rec.photo.digital
Date: Fri, 29 Dec 2017 10:09:01 -0500
In article <p25i69$fbq$1@gioia.aioe.org>, Mayayana<mayayana@invalid.nospam> wrote:

> | You KNOW they aren't making a loss, even at $29.00 so their margins on the
> batteries are HUGE!
>
>   I already explained that in your last thread
> and it was detailed in the BBC link I posted.
> Apple may not get caught very often, but you
> don't have to rub it in.

apple didn't 'get caught'.

many other products use the same or similar power management for
exactly the same reasons.

there is no avoiding the fact that batteries age and their ability to
source high current loads is reduced over time.

android phones:
<https://source.android.com/devices/tech/power/mgmt>
  Battery life is a perennial user concern. To extend battery life,
  Android continually adds new features and optimizations to help the
  platform optimize the off-charger behavior of applications and
  devices.

guess what 'optimize the off-charger behavior' means.

it's doublespeak for 'reduce performance when on battery power so it
lasts longer'.