From: Ken Hart <kwhart1@frontier.com>
Subject: Re: Apple cuts $50 off price for replacment phone batteries,sheepishly offers apology
Full headers:
From: Ken Hart <kwhart1@frontier.com>
Newsgroups: rec.photo.digital
Subject: Re: Apple cuts $50 off price for replacment phone batteries,
sheepishly offers apology
Date: Fri, 29 Dec 2017 15:21:41 -0500
On 12/29/2017 01:11 PM, RichA wrote:
> On Friday, 29 December 2017 10:09:09 UTC-5, nospam  wrote:

>>> batteries are HUGE!
>>>
>>>    I already explained that in your last thread
>>> and it was detailed in the BBC link I posted.
>>> Apple may not get caught very often, but you
>>> don't have to rub it in.
>>
>> apple didn't 'get caught'.
>>
>> many other products use the same or similar power management for
>> exactly the same reasons.
>>
>> there is no avoiding the fact that batteries age and their ability to
>> source high current loads is reduced over time.
>>
>> android phones:
>> <https://source.android.com/devices/tech/power/mgmt>
>>    Battery life is a perennial user concern. To extend battery life,
>>    Android continually adds new features and optimizations to help the
>>    platform optimize the off-charger behavior of applications and
>>    devices.
>>
>> guess what 'optimize the off-charger behavior' means.
>>
>> it's doublespeak for 'reduce performance when on battery power so it
>> lasts longer'.
>
> Something about "two wrongs" comes up.
>   I presume they do the tests on this?  So, what is the average battery lifespan, what is the
decline in output based on use/time and why not just publish those figures so people would have a
reasonable idea of how long the performance they paid for will work to 100%?

To an engineer who understands charts and graphs, that might make sense.
But the average customer does not understand. They also don't understand
that "average" means some will perform better and some will perform worse.

The performance of a battery decreases starting from the day it was
manufactured.

--
Ken Hart
kwhart1@frontier.com