Subject: Re: Apple cuts $50 off price for replacment phone batteries,sheepishly offers apology
Full headers:
From: PeterN <"peter,newdelete"@deleteverizon.net>
Newsgroups: rec.photo.digital
Subject: Re: Apple cuts $50 off price for replacment phone batteries,
sheepishly offers apology
Date: Mon, 1 Jan 2018 13:13:26 -0500
On 12/29/2017 6:53 PM, nospam wrote:

>>> far more tests than you can possibly imagine.
>>>
>>> not only does apple do tests internally, but each phone is constantly
>>> monitoring its own battery health, managing it on the fly.
>>>
>>> plenty of other companies do the same or similar, including android.
>>
>> Who is "android?"
>
> all products running google android.
>
>> Do you mean Samsung?
>
> everyone.
>
>> If so, they don't do it.  They say.
>
> except that the underlying android os does.
>
> <https://source.android.com/devices/tech/power/mgmt>
>    Battery life is a perennial user concern. To extend battery life,
>    Android continually adds new features and optimizations to help the
>    platform optimize the off-charger behavior of applications and
>    devices.
>
> not doing that risks sudden unexpected shutdowns and potential data
> loss, which is *worse*.
>
> <http://www.androidpolice.com/2016/12/20/some-nexus-6ps-have-develop...
> battery-early-shutoff-problem-and-its-becoming-a-safety-issue/>
>    A number of Nexus 6P owners have reported an alarming battery problem
>    with their phones as of Android 7.0 being released for the handset,
>    which causes the phone to power down when the battery gauge still
>    shows anywhere from 10 to 60% battery remaining.

You're damn right they test the batteries. Yet no matter how much
testing they do, some slip through the cracks. There is a difference
between the required testing on a medical device and a phone. Yet the
battery on my defibrillator was recalled. It is being changed Thursday.
The surgeon put in a warning device if it fails between now and Thursday.

--
PeterN