Subject: Re: Apple played digital liberal nanny-stater, now faces severallawsuits
Full headers:
From: PeterN <"peter,newdelete"@deleteverizon.net>
Newsgroups: rec.photo.digital
Subject: Re: Apple played digital liberal nanny-stater, now faces several
lawsuits
Date: Tue, 2 Jan 2018 12:23:17 -0500
<p248eo$k65$1@gioia.aioe.org> <281220172121547215%nospam@nospam.invalid>
<p249kd$lh1$1@gioia.aioe.org> <p24c8q0pb1@news6.newsguy.com>
<p24g9b$tgu$1@gioia.aioe.org> <p2dq0s12um9@news4.newsguy.com>
<010120181242037919%nospam@nospam.invalid> <p2e2ek01ira@news6.newsguy.com>
<010120181506005556%nospam@nospam.invalid> <p2e6ui01kt8@news6.newsguy.com>
<p2e8mn$13c1$1@gioia.aioe.org> <p2g84902csq@news6.newsguy.com>
<p2g95g$1ubp$1@gioia.aioe.org>
On 1/2/2018 10:40 AM, Mayayana wrote:
> "PeterN" <"peter,newdelete"@deleteverizon.net> wrote
>
> | Since I was diagnosed with COPD, and my defibrillator/pacemaker
> | recalled, I see nothing funny about toy pulse oximeters.
> |

>     I can understand that. Even heart monitors are
> questionable. For that matter, phone app pedometers
> are both silly and inaccurate. But people now
> use them to track and plan their health regimens,
> trying to maintain a certain number of steps per
> day.
>
>     I used to have a friend who was an ER doctor
> and very suspicious of herbal remedies. He used
> to like to point out that herbal remedies have a
> good reputation despite lack of research because
> it's usually the healthy people who use them. When
> they *really* get sick they use drugs. An
> "immune system booster" seems to work well if
> you don't get sick after taking it. (Not that I think
> herbs are nonsense. something like 30% of our
> drugs come from herbs. But there is a lot of
> magical thinking going on.)
>     One could say the same about frivolous tech
> approaches to health. They're there because
> there's a market that will pay, not because they
> make sense.

About 1/3 to 1/2 my practice was representing clients in the health care
field. As a result I have a very high understand of the business end of
that industry. A very high proportion of oximeters sold to retail
customers are accurate and consistent enough for general purposes, but
few are reliable enough for diagnostic purposes. OTOH pulsemeters,
should be fine, if used properly.

--
PeterN