From: Savageduck <savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com>
Subject: Re: Olympus Leads the Japanese MILC Run
Full headers:
Date: Wed, 17 Jan 2018 13:46:56 -0800
From: Savageduck <savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com>
Newsgroups: rec.photo.digital
On Jan 17, 2018, Bill W wrote
(in article<dc9v5dhup5p2ol7rgos3em6r7qcfsdtpgj@4ax.com>):

> On Wed, 17 Jan 2018 08:56:31 -0800, Savageduck
> <savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com>  wrote:
>
> > On Jan 17, 2018, android wrote
> > (in article<fc9cd1FasahU1@mid.individual.net>):

> > > An old calculator can sum up sales figures. FujiFilm ain't even on the
> > > map back in their homeland apperantly...
> > >
> > > <http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/f/f4/Solar-calculator...
> >
> > Who cares about sales figures?
>
> I do, along with lots of other people - for example, Pentax users.
> It's already become a problem, with fewer and fewer 3d party lens
> makers, for instance. And it's not just the 3d parties, if Pentax
> itself folds, there is no more support for anything, and no future at
> all.

I agree. The financial health of any consumer oriented business is dependant
on sales. Photographers, pro, enthusiasts, and snap-shooters are the target
consumer groups being carved up by the various camera maufacturers. However,
there are other factors at play with the various production philosophies, and
the cameras on offer to us, the folks feeding those corporations. In the case
of Pentax, there is only Pentax to blame for their current precarious
position.
....and the inroads into the photography consumer pie that cameras in smart
phones have made cannot be denied.

I have nothing against Pentax, as a teenager my first SLR was a Pentax. The
only 35mm cameras I own today are a K1000, and a 49 year old Yashica
Electro35. When I made the move to the digital world I was drawn to what
Nikon had to offer, because Yashica had died, and Pentax had nothing to offer
which matched Nikon, or Canon at that time. Currently it is Fujifilm which
meets my photography needs, both from an economic, and a cost perspective. I
might well have moved to Olympus, but Fujifilm with the quality glass
available, and their Kaizen philosophy adding value, and function with
firmware updates/upgrades has gained my following. Pentax might have regained
my following if they had offered a product to push me back into their fold.
As to what the future holds for them, and their slice of the pie without some
sort of paradigm shift on their part, I could not say. For me, Fujifilm made
that paradigm shift 6 years ago and ran with it, gaining me three years ago.
Nikon is vanishing over the horizon of unaffordability.

> > The bottom line is, having a camera which delivers great IQ, and performance
> > while being enjoyable to use. For me Fujifilm delivers that without the over
> > the top pricing of Canon, Nikon, and Sony. This is from somebody who has
> > spent considerable cash on Nikon DSLRs and glass.
>
> I think Fuji is a considerably more robust than Pentax, so you
> shouldn't have to worry.

Sadly, I have to agree, though it would be nice to see Pentax do something
exciting, there is just too much from the photographic past that is gone.

--

Regards,
Savageduck