From: Savageduck <savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com>
Subject: Re: Olympus Leads the Japanese MILC Run
Full headers:
Date: Wed, 17 Jan 2018 19:53:56 -0800
From: Savageduck <savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com>
Newsgroups: rec.photo.digital
On Jan 17, 2018, Neil wrote
(in article <p3otmo$dq9$1@dont-email.me>):

> On 1/17/2018 1:33 AM, android wrote:
> > It's still a prosumer game...
> >
> > <http://www.canonrumors.com/bcn-rankings-are-out-canon-continues-to-...
> > -dslrs-further-growth-in-mirrorless/>
> >

> > <http://tinyurl.com/y9ukoluy>
> I think it's interesting that this topic goes on and on about camera
> makes *other* than Olympus. I take it that there aren't many (if any)
> Olympus users in this group, so I'll chime in with my 2 cents.

I believe we have one or two regulars in this NG who are Olympus users. The
majority are divided between Nikon and Canon.

> In film cameras, I have 3 makes: Olympus, Leica and Rolleiflex. I was
> always drawn to Olympus' superior technology when it came to compact
> design (OM-1, very durable, compact and reliable) metering (OM-4 is
> unique in this respect), and image quality. Its lenses aren't the best
> that I have, but then I have lenses for my Leica and Rollei that each
> cost more than a few entire Olympus kits. However, unlike my Zeiss,
> Leica and Schneider lenses, the Olympus' delivers consistent contrast
> over the range of stops. I realize this implies some compromises, but it
> makes it easier to use DOF as the primary variable when framing and
> shooting.

As I said earlier, my film cameras are currently a Pentax K1000, and a
Yashica Electro35. I envy your Leica, and Rolleiflex.

> In digital cameras, I have Nikon and Olympus. The Olympus is superior in
> every way, from the available options to the structure of its menu,
> making significant changes easy and fast.

In the digital World I was first drawn to Nikon, and when it came time to
move on, Olympus was for me a viable option along with Fujifilm. After
considerable head scratching and making comparisons, I decided on Fujifilm
for many of the same reasons you have stuck with Olympus. I have only been a
Fujifilm user for three years, and I could not be happier with my choice. Had
I decided on Olympus three years ago I have no doubt that I would have been
just as happy.

> So, it doesn't surprise me in the least that those who are dedicated to
> photography find themselves drawn to the Olympus line.

To be fair, those dedicated to photography find themselves, for different
reasons, drawn to the entire spectrum of great image producing machines
including, but not limited to Olympus, Fujifilm, Nikon, Canon, Leica,
PhaseOne, Panasonic, Sony, Pentax, Hasselblad, and others. It is just that
many of us, pro, or enthusiast have made our choices, and in some cases have
made a considerable investment in cameras, and glass.

--

Regards,
Savageduck