From: Savageduck <savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com>
Subject: Re: Nanny-state loving park a---holes ban tripods
Full headers:
Date: Thu, 18 Jan 2018 00:19:59 -0800
From: Savageduck <savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com>
Newsgroups: rec.photo.digital
On Jan 17, 2018, RichA wrote
(in article<20865dda-031f-4405-82f9-2642027ab4d2@googlegroups.com>):

> I can see this in a crowded place like a museum, but a frigging park??! The
> U.S. has become such a litigious Hell-hole that everyone is terrified of the
> potential of any kind of accident. A nation of risk-takers and winners has
> become wussville.
>
> <https://petapixel.com/2018/01/16/zion-national-park-bans-tripods-pho...

Note that this restriction is limited to Zion NP, and does not expand to
other National Parks. If you have ever visited Zion you might have a better
idea of the congestion issues on the Valley floor, in the slot canyons, and
on the precarious hikes on the canyon walls. As a regular visitor to many
National Parks I have never had issues using a tripod. That said I haven’t
visited Zion for some time, and there are obviously rule changes which need
to be made due to the increase in popularity of the place.

If you want to see a place where there is bizarre control over photographers,
and photography workshops try a visit to Antelope Canyon and the other
photogenic sites under control of the Navajo Nation. If you take a regular
Antelope Canyon tour you will not be permitted to take a tripod, and the
scenes in the slot canyon are over crowded. To get the crowd free shots and
use a tripod you have to sign up and pay for one of the Navajo guided photo
groups, which will make a determination with regard to your camera equipment
before allowing into the group. Now I see that those locations have become so
overcrowded and the Navajo Nation has stopped/restricted the various Antelope
Canyon photography tours.

<https://www.navajoantelopecanyon.com/Photo.asp>
<http://lowerantelope.com/photographer-tour/>
<https://navajotours.com/tour-packages/>