From: nospam <nospam@nospam.invalid>
Subject: Re: Your computer will be slllowwwwing dooowwwnnnnnn....
From: nospam <nospam@nospam.invalid>
Newsgroups: rec.photo.digital
Date: Thu, 18 Jan 2018 13:46:48 -0500
In article <p3qk14$e58$1@dont-email.me>, Mayayana<mayayana@invalid.nospam> wrote:

>   Speak for yourself. AMD here. I wouldn't touch
> Intel with a 10-foot anti-static wrist strap. :)
>
>  Not susceptible to
> Meltdown and Spectre is not a critical issue, so long
> as I don't enable script in the browser while visiting
> attack sites.

if only were it that simple.

microsoft just released new patches for (some) amd systems.

maybe you should go tell them they shouldn't have bothered.

<https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2018/01/good-newsbad-news-in-quest-t...
et-meltdown-and-spectre-patched/>
  The good news: Shortly after its initial release, Microsoft suspended
  shipping its Spectre and Meltdown Windows patches to owners of AMD
  systems after some users found that it left their systems unbootable.
  Microsoft partially lifted the restriction last week, sending the
  update to newer AMD systems but still leaving the oldest machines
  unpatched.

> Even then, it's not clear that Spectre
> can access any data outside the same process.

it can. that's the whole point.

a process already can access its own data. otherwise it wouldn't work
particularly well.

> So
> the risk? Apparently using an older version of Firefox
> and entering credit card info into one window while
> visiting a malware site in another.

it's quite a bit more than that.