From: Mayayana <mayayana@invalid.nospam>
Subject: Re: Your computer will be slllowwwwing dooowwwnnnnnn....
From: "Mayayana" <mayayana@invalid.nospam>
Newsgroups: rec.photo.digital
Date: Thu, 18 Jan 2018 14:08:35 -0500
"nospam"<nospam@nospam.invalid> wrote

| >  Not susceptible to
| > Meltdown and Spectre is not a critical issue, so long
| > as I don't enable script in the browser while visiting
| > attack sites.
|
| if only were it that simple.
|
 | <https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2018/01/good-newsbad-news-in-quest-t...
| et-meltdown-and-spectre-patched/>

  That doesn't say much, except to confirm
that patches are risky. AMD themselves have explained
that they're not vulnerable to meltdown. There's
also this, from a trusted source that Windows
users may be familiar with:

https://www.grc.com/inspectre.htm

  So people can test for themselves. Since you don't
bother to find the facts and don't understand them,
anyway, you'd save everyone a lot of confusion if
you'd just wait for Timmy Cook's "gift patch" for
your Mac and let Windows/Linux users, who actually
might have AMD CPUs, worry about their computers.

  This isn't a joke for your usual wiseacreing. People are
having their computers fried with funky patches, despite
very low risk in terms of security.