From: nospam <nospam@nospam.invalid>
Subject: Re: Your computer will be slllowwwwing dooowwwnnnnnn....
From: nospam <nospam@nospam.invalid>
Newsgroups: rec.photo.digital
Date: Fri, 19 Jan 2018 13:48:00 -0500
In article <p3tbpu$12m$1@dont-email.me>, Mayayana<mayayana@invalid.nospam> wrote:

> | I switched to AMD when the 386DX-40 came
> | out.  But other devices have Intel in them
> | besides home computers so you may have
> | one and not even know it.
>
>    Other devices? You mean like phones? That
> wouldn't concern me, but I wonder if it's
> an issue. iPhones seem to use a Samsung CPU
> that Apple claims to "design".

why the quotes? and as usual, completely wrong. maybe you should find
out the facts before you spew.

apple's a-series processors are designed entirely by apple for apple
products, and not just cpus either. apple has over 10,000 employees
designing all sorts of chips.

the actual fabbing is outsourced to tsmc, samsung and others.

some iphones have intel baseband modems, although that would be
unaffected by meltdown/spectre.

and by the way, amd is also fabless, so their 'designs' are also
outsourced.

<https://www.engadget.com/2015/12/22/samsung-building-chips-for-amd/&...
  With falling smartphone sales, Samsung has been trying to boost its
  chip manufacturing business. AMD, meanwhile, builds CPUs and GPUs for
  PCs and both major consoles, but doesn't have a fab business anymore.
  According to Korea's Electronic Times, that kind of synergy was too
  good to ignore, so Samsung will manufacture CPU and GPU chips for AMD
  on its 14-nanometer chip foundry starting in 2016.

> Androids also
> don't seem to use Intel.

android phones & tablets mostly use qualcomm snapdragon or samsung
exynos, but a few have used intel.

qualcomm is also fabless.

<https://www.qualcomm.com/news/releases/2016/11/17/qualcomm-and-samsu...
collaborate-10nm-process-technology-latest-snapdragon>
  Qualcomm Incorporated (NASDAQ: QCOM)