From: Ken Hart <kwhart1@frontier.com>
Subject: Re: Renovation of a photograph
From: Ken Hart <kwhart1@frontier.com>
Newsgroups: rec.photo.digital
Date: Sun, 21 Jan 2018 16:30:03 -0500
On 01/21/2018 01:10 PM, David B. wrote:
> Hi
>
> My elderly sister managed to send me a photograph today of our
> grandfather. It was taken before he was killed during the first World War.
>
> Here is a copy of same:-  https://imgur.com/a/7XRdW
>
> How best can the image be improved?

First, scan it with a flatbed scanner rather than photographing it, so
you won't have the shadows.
Second, those creases may show up less depending on which way you turn
the photo in the scanner, so try four scans rotating the photo a
quarter-turn for each one. Pick the best.
Third, I've seen much worse photos than this one. You are lucky to have
one that has held up so well. Convert it to black and white, increase
the contrast just a bit, and use cloning to get rid of the creases. Or
just leave it as is- it's an old photo, let it look old.
Finally, make (or have made) good quality prints for both you and your
sister. Go to an art supply store and get a low-acid envelope (or other
container) for the original, and store it someplace safe for your
grandchildren.

--
Ken Hart
kwhart1@frontier.com