From: Tony Cooper <tonycooper214@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: Renovation of a photograph
From: Tony Cooper <tonycooper214@gmail.com>
Newsgroups: rec.photo.digital
Date: Mon, 22 Jan 2018 12:48:11 -0500
On Mon, 22 Jan 2018 15:36:25 +0000, "David B."<DavidB@nomail.afraid.org> wrote:

>On 22/01/2018 00:55, Tony Cooper wrote:
>> On Sun, 21 Jan 2018 18:10:00 +0000, "David B."
>><DavidB@nomail.afraid.org> wrote:
>>
>>> Hi
>>>
>>> My elderly sister managed to send me a photograph today of our
>>> grandfather. It was taken before he was killed during the first World War.
>>>
>>> Here is a copy of same:-  https://imgur.com/a/7XRdW
>>>
>>> How best can the image be improved?
>>
>> I suggest you post it at https://www.photoshopgurus.com/forum/ .
>> Requests like this are handled routinely in that forum, and some of
>> the results are spectacular.  Make sure you title your post to include
>> that you want an old photo reconstructed.
>>
>> In your post, specify that you would like to know what steps were
>> taken in the reconstruction, and that you would like to be able to
>> follow those steps yourself.  State what you will be working with (eg:
>> CC2018, PS6, Elements, Lightroom, etc)*
>>
>> Some of the "gurus" there will do the reconstruction, but if you ask
>> to be informed of the steps they'll provide screenshots.  Even if you
>> want to take on this project yourself, you'll pick up some tips from
>> this group if someone takes on your project.
>>
>> What you start with is going to greatly determine what you end up
>> with.  The better your scan, the better starting point you have.  The
>> higher the resolution at the scanning, the better the result.  It
>> takes longer, but this isn't an issue with one photograph.
>
>Hi Tony
>
>Thank you so much for your link. I've been there to have a quick look
>and have also enroled on the forum. I'll be returning for sure!
>
>I've always thought that Photoshop is for 'professionals', not for
>everyday 'home users' like me. Is it something that would make a world
>of difference over the facilities now included with Apple's 'Photos'
>software?
>> This looks like a photograph of a photograph, not a scan.  The
>> lighting is poor and too much to the right.  The depth of field is too
>> wide open.  The focus point seems to be the lower right edge. Unless
>> you have a copy stand and the right lighting, a good scan is a better
>> starting point.
>
>You are quite right! My sister took a photograph of the old snapshot
>with her new iPad Pro and, after a number of failed efforts, was truly
>delighted when she discovered that I'd received the image!

What can be done with a restoration is very dependent on the quality
of what you start with.  A photo of a photo sent in email handicaps
the effort from the get-go.  Not an insurmountable handicap, but a
good scan at high resolution would provide a better starting point.

>She's never used a computer nor a smart phone - EVER! It's a
>considerable learning curve for an 81 year old! ;-)
>
>> Actually, you have a good subject to start with.  Except for your
>> grandfather's lower left leg (on the right viewing the image), there's
>> no real need for reconstructing damaged or missing areas.  The crack
>> across the face is a simple fix with the right software.
>>
>> At Photoshop Gurus you aren't guaranteed that someone will work on it
>> unless you offer to pay, but most free requests get good responses.
>
>That good to know, Thank you for your advice. :-)

>> *This is something you should do even in a newsgroup post.  Without
>> knowing what tool box you'll be working with, people can't really give
>> useful instructions.
>
>That's something I'll try to remember. I haven't any additional tools
>above and beyond those included with Apple's High Sierra.

I'm a Windows person and know nothing about what High Sierra does, but
I get the feeling that it's not a program that would lend itself to
this type of project.

>I did once experiment with GIMP on my old iMac but found it rather
>complicated to use. Perhaps it's an age thing! ;-)

At 79 and still learning new applications of Photoshop, I really can't
agree with that.  Gimp is very much deprecated in this group, but
there are many users of Gimp that do manage to come up with some good
work.  Gimp, though, is no different in some ways than programs like
Photoshop:  the complexity of using it diminishes if you put some time
into learning it.  It's really not worth it for a one-shot job like
this, though.

>Once again, thanks for helping.

You're welcome.
--