From: Savageduck <savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com>
Subject: Re: Renovation of a photograph
Full headers:
Date: Mon, 22 Jan 2018 14:07:57 -0800
From: Savageduck <savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com>
Newsgroups: rec.photo.digital
On Jan 22, 2018, David B. wrote
(in article <_xn9C.449811$6_2.43059@fx30.fr7>):

> On 22/01/2018 00:55, Tony Cooper wrote:
> > On Sun, 21 Jan 2018 18:10:00 +0000, "David B."
> ><DavidB@nomail.afraid.org>  wrote:
> >
> > > Hi
> > >
> > > My elderly sister managed to send me a photograph today of our
> > > grandfather. It was taken before he was killed during the first World War.
> > >
> > > Here is a copy of same:- https://imgur.com/a/7XRdW
> > >
> > > How best can the image be improved?
> >
> > I suggest you post it at https://www.photoshopgurus.com/forum/ .
> > Requests like this are handled routinely in that forum, and some of
> > the results are spectacular. Make sure you title your post to include
> > that you want an old photo reconstructed.
> >
> > In your post, specify that you would like to know what steps were
> > taken in the reconstruction, and that you would like to be able to
> > follow those steps yourself. State what you will be working with (eg:
> > CC2018, PS6, Elements, Lightroom, etc)*
> >
> > Some of the "gurus" there will do the reconstruction, but if you ask
> > to be informed of the steps they'll provide screenshots. Even if you
> > want to take on this project yourself, you'll pick up some tips from
> > this group if someone takes on your project.
> >
> > What you start with is going to greatly determine what you end up
> > with. The better your scan, the better starting point you have. The
> > higher the resolution at the scanning, the better the result. It
> > takes longer, but this isn't an issue with one photograph.
>
> Hi Tony
>
> Thank you so much for your link. I've been there to have a quick look
> and have also enroled on the forum. I'll be returning for sure!

All good suggestions. However, you are hobbled from the start by not having
the available tools, or editing experience.

> I've always thought that Photoshop is for 'professionals', not for
> everyday 'home users' like me. Is it something that would make a world
> of difference over the facilities now included with Apple's 'Photos'
> software?

That is a false assumption. There are a considerable number of non-pro photo
enthusiasts in this NG alone who either have, and use an earlier stand-alone
edition of Photoshop, or who subscribe to Adobe CC and have current editions
of Photoshop CC 2018 & Lightroom CC Classic.

> > This looks like a photograph of a photograph, not a scan. The
> > lighting is poor and too much to the right. The depth of field is too
> > wide open. The focus point seems to be the lower right edge. Unless
> > you have a copy stand and the right lighting, a good scan is a better
> > starting point.
>
> You are quite right! My sister took a photograph of the old snapshot
> with her new iPad Pro and, after a number of failed efforts, was truly
> delighted when she discovered that I'd received the image!

....and that is possibly the worst source image to use for any repair. As many
of us have told you, your starting point to obtain a good source image file
is via a high quality flat bed scan, at the highest resolution possible. If
you are not able to do that, then see if you have a local camera store, or
print shop which will do that scan for you.

> She's never used a computer nor a smart phone - EVER! It's a
> considerable learning curve for an 81 year old! ;-)

Well she has an iPad Pro, and she was capable enough to know/learn how to
send you her photo of the photo.

> > Actually, you have a good subject to start with. Except for your
> > grandfather's lower left leg (on the right viewing the image), there's
> > no real need for reconstructing damaged or missing areas. The crack
> > across the face is a simple fix with the right software.
> >
> > At Photoshop Gurus you aren't guaranteed that someone will work on it
> > unless you offer to pay, but most free requests get good responses.
>
> That good to know, Thank you for your advice. :-)
>
> > *This is something you should do even in a newsgroup post. Without
> > knowing what tool box you'll be working with, people can't really give
> > useful instructions.
>
> That's something I'll try to remember. I haven't any additional tools
> above and beyond those included with Apple's High Sierra.

High Sierra is an OS, not a photo editing app. The Apple excuse for a photo
editor is Photos. You should consider at least one of my suggestions below.
You are not going to be able to do anything beyond basic stuff with Photos.

> I did once experiment with GIMP on my old iMac but found it rather
> complicated to use. Perhaps it's an age thing! ;-)
>
> Once again, thanks for helping.

Personally I would not recommend GIMP. If I were you I would look to one of
these Mac apps, each of which are capable of doing the repair work.
Pixelmator (now updated to Pixelmator Pro), and Luminar are very good and
will also give you Extensions to suplement Apple Photos. Affinity Photo is
also very good. However, it has a steeper learning curve than the other two.
All three have many online tutorials and guides.

Pixelmator
<https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/pixelmator/id407963104>
Pixelmator Pro
<http://www.pixelmator.com/pro/>