From: David B. <DavidB@nomail.afraid.org>
Subject: Re: Renovation of a photograph
Full headers:
Newsgroups: rec.photo.digital
From: "David B." <DavidB@nomail.afraid.org>
Date: Mon, 22 Jan 2018 23:59:10 +0000
On 22/01/2018 22:07, Savageduck wrote:
> On Jan 22, 2018, David B. wrote
> (in article <_xn9C.449811$6_2.43059@fx30.fr7>):
>
>> On 22/01/2018 00:55, Tony Cooper wrote:

>>> I suggest you post it at https://www.photoshopgurus.com/forum/ .
>>> Requests like this are handled routinely in that forum, and some of
>>> the results are spectacular. Make sure you title your post to include
>>> that you want an old photo reconstructed.
>>>
>>> In your post, specify that you would like to know what steps were
>>> taken in the reconstruction, and that you would like to be able to
>>> follow those steps yourself. State what you will be working with (eg:
>>> CC2018, PS6, Elements, Lightroom, etc)*
>>>
>>> Some of the "gurus" there will do the reconstruction, but if you ask
>>> to be informed of the steps they'll provide screenshots. Even if you
>>> want to take on this project yourself, you'll pick up some tips from
>>> this group if someone takes on your project.
>>>
>>> What you start with is going to greatly determine what you end up
>>> with. The better your scan, the better starting point you have. The
>>> higher the resolution at the scanning, the better the result. It
>>> takes longer, but this isn't an issue with one photograph.
>>
>> Hi Tony
>>
>> Thank you so much for your link. I've been there to have a quick look
>> and have also enroled on the forum. I'll be returning for sure!
>
> All good suggestions. However, you are hobbled from the start by not having
> the available tools, or editing experience.

I can obtain them if there is a need and I *do* still have the ability
to learn, especially with good folk like you, and others here, to
provide help and advice.

>> I've always thought that Photoshop is for 'professionals', not for
>> everyday 'home users' like me. Is it something that would make a world
>> of difference over the facilities now included with Apple's 'Photos'
>> software?
>
> That is a false assumption. There are a considerable number of non-pro photo
> enthusiasts in this NG alone who either have, and use an earlier stand-alone
> edition of Photoshop, or who subscribe to Adobe CC and have current editions
> of Photoshop CC 2018 & Lightroom CC Classic.

Noted. I've been leaving things until my boating days come to an end.

>>> This looks like a photograph of a photograph, not a scan. The
>>> lighting is poor and too much to the right. The depth of field is too
>>> wide open. The focus point seems to be the lower right edge. Unless
>>> you have a copy stand and the right lighting, a good scan is a better
>>> starting point.
>>
>> You are quite right! My sister took a photograph of the old snapshot
>> with her new iPad Pro and, after a number of failed efforts, was truly
>> delighted when she discovered that I'd received the image!
>
> ...and that is possibly the worst source image to use for any repair. As many
> of us have told you, your starting point to obtain a good source image file
> is via a high quality flat bed scan, at the highest resolution possible. If
> you are not able to do that, then see if you have a local camera store, or
> print shop which will do that scan for you.

All understood. Action will be taken to obtain the original photograph
and proceed as you, and others, have suggested.

>> She's never used a computer nor a smart phone - EVER! It's a
>> considerable learning curve for an 81 year old! ;-)
>
> Well she has an iPad Pro, and she was capable enough to know/learn how to
> send you her photo of the photo.

You wouldn't believe how much time I have spent helping her! Her son and
daughter were totally dismayed when they discovered that I had ordered
the device for her and had had it delivered directly to her home before
Christmas! They'd been telling her for years that she would not be able
to use it.

>>> Actually, you have a good subject to start with. Except for your
>>> grandfather's lower left leg (on the right viewing the image), there's
>>> no real need for reconstructing damaged or missing areas. The crack
>>> across the face is a simple fix with the right software.
>>>
>>> At Photoshop Gurus you aren't guaranteed that someone will work on it
>>> unless you offer to pay, but most free requests get good responses.
>>
>> That good to know, Thank you for your advice. :-)
>>
>>> *This is something you should do even in a newsgroup post. Without
>>> knowing what tool box you'll be working with, people can't really give
>>> useful instructions.
>>
>> That's something I'll try to remember. I haven't any additional tools
>> above and beyond those included with Apple's High Sierra.
>
> High Sierra is an OS, not a photo editing app. The Apple excuse for a photo
> editor is Photos. You should consider at least one of my suggestions below.
> You are not going to be able to do anything beyond basic stuff with Photos.

OK. I will study at the links you have provided.

>> I did once experiment with GIMP on my old iMac but found it rather
>> complicated to use. Perhaps it's an age thing! ;-)
>>
>> Once again, thanks for helping.
>
> Personally I would not recommend GIMP. If I were you I would look to one of
> these Mac apps, each of which are capable of doing the repair work.
> Pixelmator (now updated to Pixelmator Pro), and Luminar are very good and
> will also give you Extensions to suplement Apple Photos. Affinity Photo is
> also very good. However, it has a steeper learning curve than the other two.
> All three have many online tutorials and guides.

I will explore. Thank you. :-)

--
David B.