Subject: Re: CC 2018 19.1.0 AI Select Subject Ruins Things
Full headers:
From: PeterN <"peter,newdelete"@deleteverizon.net>
Newsgroups: rec.photo.digital
Date: Wed, 24 Jan 2018 16:51:34 -0500
On 1/23/2018 11:38 PM, Tony Cooper wrote:
> Yeah.  Ruins it for those of us who have worked hard to acquire some
> skills at selecting a subject the old way.  We used to be able to
> create a selection with the precision that the less-skilled user
> couldn't.  Now, it's dead simple for anyone.
>
> I just updated to the new version and gave Select Subject a run in a
> couple of images.  It is damned near a one-click procedure.  I tried
> on a good photograph of a group of people, but with a very complex
> background.  Almost perfect.
>
> A few places to touch up after OKing it and going to Select and Mask.
> Where the figures in the group overlap in part, the area between them
> where they don't overlap might need revising.
>
> I also used it on a close-up of a grandson who was wearing a
> sweatshirt with two very strong colors (dark blue and yellow) and it
> only selected one part of the sweatshirt.  It included the blue but
> thought the yellow was background.  Again, easy to fix with the plus
> tool.
>
> I even tried on that restoration image I did for David B.  Since
> that's a sepia image, the process couldn't find the edges for about
> 50% of the figure.  It needs demarcation to find the edge.  Still, I
> could extract the figure after a little fiddling around.
>
> Usually, when I work with a complicated* selection, I do a loose
> selection, and then use my Wacom tablet and zoom way in using a Layer
> Mask to add/remove.  I find that to be a quicker way than dicking
> around adding/removing with the Quick Selection to.
>
> Using Select Subject I can make the same selection using a mouse and
> not zooming in.  I just pick up the Wacom pen for the minor clean-up.
>
> *By "complicated" I mean extracting a figure where the background is
> multi-colored and contains the same or similar colors as in the
> figure.  The Quick Selection tool has trouble with this.
>
> I was a late-comer to Adobe's Subscription program, but I paid $9.99
> last month, and will pay $9.99 this month and I have an upgrade that I
> consider to be a major advantage.  I was just notified of my
> anniversary of signing up, and the rate remains the same.

As you know, here are multiple ways of doing many tasks in PS. PS is not
without bugs. Do the task the way that makes you more comfortable. If
the bug is bad, I call support, after checking the forums.

One that really bothers me is the refine edge brush, in select and mask.
When I use it to clean up an edge, a previously cleaned edge needs cleaning.

--
PeterN