Next <
From: Tony Cooper <tonycooper214@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: CC 2018 19.1.0 AI Select Subject Ruins Things
Full headers:
From: Tony Cooper <tonycooper214@gmail.com>
Newsgroups: rec.photo.digital
Date: Wed, 24 Jan 2018 17:49:36 -0500
On Wed, 24 Jan 2018 16:51:34 -0500, PeterN
<"peter,newdelete"@deleteverizon.net> wrote:

>On 1/23/2018 11:38 PM, Tony Cooper wrote:
>> Yeah.  Ruins it for those of us who have worked hard to acquire some
>> skills at selecting a subject the old way.  We used to be able to
>> create a selection with the precision that the less-skilled user
>> couldn't.  Now, it's dead simple for anyone.
>>
>> I just updated to the new version and gave Select Subject a run in a
>> couple of images.  It is damned near a one-click procedure.  I tried
>> on a good photograph of a group of people, but with a very complex
>> background.  Almost perfect.
>>
>> A few places to touch up after OKing it and going to Select and Mask.
>> Where the figures in the group overlap in part, the area between them
>> where they don't overlap might need revising.
>>
>> I also used it on a close-up of a grandson who was wearing a
>> sweatshirt with two very strong colors (dark blue and yellow) and it
>> only selected one part of the sweatshirt.  It included the blue but
>> thought the yellow was background.  Again, easy to fix with the plus
>> tool.
>>
>> I even tried on that restoration image I did for David B.  Since
>> that's a sepia image, the process couldn't find the edges for about
>> 50% of the figure.  It needs demarcation to find the edge.  Still, I
>> could extract the figure after a little fiddling around.
>>
>> Usually, when I work with a complicated* selection, I do a loose
>> selection, and then use my Wacom tablet and zoom way in using a Layer
>> Mask to add/remove.  I find that to be a quicker way than dicking
>> around adding/removing with the Quick Selection to.
>>
>> Using Select Subject I can make the same selection using a mouse and
>> not zooming in.  I just pick up the Wacom pen for the minor clean-up.
>>
>> *By "complicated" I mean extracting a figure where the background is
>> multi-colored and contains the same or similar colors as in the
>> figure.  The Quick Selection tool has trouble with this.
>>
>> I was a late-comer to Adobe's Subscription program, but I paid $9.99
>> last month, and will pay $9.99 this month and I have an upgrade that I
>> consider to be a major advantage.  I was just notified of my
>> anniversary of signing up, and the rate remains the same.
>>

>As you know, here are multiple ways of doing many tasks in PS. PS is not
>without bugs. Do the task the way that makes you more comfortable. If
>the bug is bad, I call support, after checking the forums.

What bug?  There's no bug involved.  If you are referring to my
comment on the Quick Selection tool, there's no implication of a bug.
Rarely, if the background has multiple colors or similar colors to the
subject, does the QS tool make a clean selection from the first drag
around the subject. The results can be adjusted, or the subject can be
made into a clean selection using a Layer Mask.  The latter way is
quicker and easier for me.

>One that really bothers me is the refine edge brush,

What bothers me is that most of the selection tutorials use a subject
with a neutral, solid-color, background.  Selections are child's play
even with stray hair.  Those are not the conditions we deal with in
actual photographs.

--
Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida