From: Savageduck <savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com>
Subject: Re: DSLR resolution suffers by about 20% when electronic shutter not used with mirror up
Full headers:
Date: Fri, 26 Jan 2018 20:45:26 -0800
From: Savageduck <savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com>
Newsgroups: rec.photo.digital
On Jan 26, 2018, Eric Stevens wrote
(in article<gdgn6ddrkvjer77ro6pfr9okndoi9hchq9@4ax.com>):

> On Fri, 26 Jan 2018 11:48:15 -0800, Savageduck
> <savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com>  wrote:
>
> > On Jan 26, 2018, Alfred Molon wrote
> > (in article<MPG.34d59f7f71879e3e98cf48@news.supernews.com>):
> >
> > > In article<0001HW.201AC13002F41C637000008DA2CF@news.giganews.com>,
> > > Savageduck says...

> > > With the E-M1 II in high res mode (80 MP) it's not sufficient to disable
> > > the mechanical shutter (i.e. use the electronic shutter). You need a
> > > wireless shutter release and you also have to disable the autofocus,
> > > because the AF motor movements in the lens generate vibrations.
> >
> > Still no problem:
> >
> > No flappy mirror - check!
> >
> > Electronic shutter - check!
> >
> > Wireless shutter release - check!
> >
> > Manual focus with peak focusing - check!
> >
> > As long as that pesky flapping mirror is not an issue the problem is solved.
> > Unless of course you have chosen to stick with a DSLR.
>
> Still no problem with my D750.
>
> Select Mup (mirror up) - select.

Live View in action.

> No electronic shutter. See note below.

Noted.

> Wireless shutter release - check

Good.

> Focus peaking (of a kind) - check.
> See https://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/57292217

Close, but not quite as effective, and useful as true focus peaking. However,
for the type of shot that all of this procedure is intended for you would be
using Live View, and it should be good enough.

> Heavy! Vibrate it if you can - check.

Always possible.
Note, this discussion brought on us by Rich, and the geeky article he
discovered, is going to be a minimal issue for those photographers with the
appropriate knowledge, and skills regardless of the camera type in use. The
results of any minimal vibration is going to need some serious pixel-peeking
to detect.

> Note: I'm not keen on electronic shutters. They can lead to image
> distortion with action shots and they are reputed to shorten the life
> of the sensor.

Electronic shutters have their place, and provide an option over a mechanical
shutter. However, as you have noted, when it comes to action shots where the
shutter speed has been pushed, rolling shutter effect comes into play with
all the unwanted distortion that brings. Though there are times those effects
can be amusing. For the type of shot where the camera is tripod mounted, the
subject is static, and vibration is to be minimized, the electronic shutter
can be appreciated.

--

Regards,
Savageduck