From: David B. <DavidB@nomail.afraid.org>
Subject: Re: Renovation of a photograph
Full headers:
Newsgroups: rec.photo.digital
<fcmkc9FcpbdU1@mid.individual.net> <fcmlcjFd120U1@mid.individual.net>
<WZq9C.649714$Pi3.325238@fx24.fr7>
<rimc6ddduilescqis3vl7our14kpj29b7e@4ax.com>
<LLt9C.742729$aI1.507818@fx23.fr7>
<6bqc6dppl881cas25k46faoeckh8l5oilk@4ax.com>
<rwu9C.591948$SF3.141078@fx28.fr7> <xG3aC.521993$hn.138347@fx07.fr7>
<0001HW.2019282F029440EB7000008DA2CF@news.giganews.com>
<Cr1bC.566129$9Z.475914@fx19.fr7>
<0001HW.201D07F20047561B70000ED142CF@news.giganews.com>
From: "David B." <DavidB@nomail.afraid.org>
Date: Sat, 27 Jan 2018 20:51:34 +0000
On 27/01/2018 19:18, Savageduck wrote:
> On Jan 27, 2018, David B. wrote
> (in article <Cr1bC.566129$9Z.475914@fx19.fr7>):
>
>> On 24/01/2018 20:46, Savageduck wrote:
>> [....]
>>> It would have been nice to have that as a .TIFF, but no matter. Here is what
>>> I came up with.
>>>
>>> <https://www.dropbox.com/s/wngnfgyqybjh093/Granddad-E2.png>
>>
>> Hi 'Savageduck'
>>
>> I wonder if you can deduce if my grandfather's cap badge looks like the
>> one shown here:-
>>
>> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Durham_Light_Infantry
>>
>> I'd be grateful if you would take a look.
>
> It would be difficult to confirm that, however, the cap badge does seem to
> have the shape of the DLI badge.
>
> I would suggest that you have a few options to reseach that for yourself in
> the UK. This is your quest, not mine, and you are better located to do the
> work.
>
> Start with the Commonwealth War Graves Commission, both web site, and/or
> offices. Then from the Wikipedia article you provided, the Durham County
> Records Office which seems to hold DLI archives might prove to be helpful.
> Also You could try and contact WWI historic organizations for service roster
> records.The Royal British Legion might be of some help.
>
> <https://www.cwgc.org>
>
> <http://www.greatwar.co.uk/war-graves/ww1-war-graves.htm>
>
> <http://www.durhamrecordoffice.org.uk/article/10563/Durham-Light-Inf...
> Archives>
>
> <http://www.durhamrecordoffice.org.uk/article/10566/Researching-Firs...
> War-British-Soldiers>

Oops! Thanks for yours efforts, Savageduck.

ALL I was after was your view as to whether or not the image of his cap
badge shown in your photoshop (or other) software image matches that of
the cap badge shown in Wikipedia.

 From what I've now unearthed on Ancestry.com, it seems that granddad
*was* in the 19th Battalion, Durham Light Infantry but /later/
transferred to the Royal Engineers (i.e. AFTER that image was taken).

I've now discovered a photograph of MY dad - can you see any resemblance
to granddad?

http://www.mediafire.com/file/eqrox9qbbnwdxdg/My%20dad%2C%20on%20th...

This photograph must have been taken in his late teens/very early
twenties because he was no longer in the army when he married my mother
at the age of twenty three (in the first quarter of 1934). Dad was
married in 1911.

--
David B.