From: RichA <rander3128@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: DSLR resolution suffers by about 20% when electronic shutter notused with mirror up
Full headers:
Newsgroups: rec.photo.digital
Date: Sat, 27 Jan 2018 17:01:33 -0800 (PST)
Subject: Re: DSLR resolution suffers by about 20% when electronic shutter not
used with mirror up
From: RichA <rander3128@gmail.com>
On Friday, 26 January 2018 23:45:35 UTC-5, Savageduck  wrote:
> On Jan 26, 2018, Eric Stevens wrote
> (in article<gdgn6ddrkvjer77ro6pfr9okndoi9hchq9@4ax.com>):
>
> > On Fri, 26 Jan 2018 11:48:15 -0800, Savageduck
> > <savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com>  wrote:
> >
> > > On Jan 26, 2018, Alfred Molon wrote
> > > (in article<MPG.34d59f7f71879e3e98cf48@news.supernews.com>):

> > > Still no problem:
> > >
> > > No flappy mirror - check!
> > >
> > > Electronic shutter - check!
> > >
> > > Wireless shutter release - check!
> > >
> > > Manual focus with peak focusing - check!
> > >
> > > As long as that pesky flapping mirror is not an issue the problem is solved.
> > > Unless of course you have chosen to stick with a DSLR.
> >
> > Still no problem with my D750.
> >
> > Select Mup (mirror up) - select.
>
> Live View in action.
> >
> > No electronic shutter. See note below.
>
> Noted.
> >
> > Wireless shutter release - check
>
> Good.
> >
> > Focus peaking (of a kind) - check.
> > See https://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/57292217
>
> Close, but not quite as effective, and useful as true focus peaking. However,
> for the type of shot that all of this procedure is intended for you would be
> using Live View, and it should be good enough.
> >
> > Heavy! Vibrate it if you can - check.
>
> Always possible.
> Note, this discussion brought on us by Rich, and the geeky article he
> discovered, is going to be a minimal issue for those photographers with the
> appropriate knowledge, and skills regardless of the camera type in use. The
> results of any minimal vibration is going to need some serious pixel-peeking
> to detect.
> >
> > Note: I'm not keen on electronic shutters. They can lead to image
> > distortion with action shots and they are reputed to shorten the life
> > of the sensor.
>
> Electronic shutters have their place, and provide an option over a mechanical
> shutter. However, as you have noted, when it comes to action shots where the
> shutter speed has been pushed, rolling shutter effect comes into play with
> all the unwanted distortion that brings. Though there are times those effects
> can be amusing. For the type of shot where the camera is tripod mounted, the
> subject is static, and vibration is to be minimized, the electronic shutter
> can be appreciated.

Without an electronic shutter, there is no way to rid a camera of all vibration.
Modern Photography once bolted cameras to a concrete wall to try to eliminate it.  At some point,
long before an electronic shutter camera experiences it, a camera with mechanical shutter will blur
the image.  The only variable left with an electronic shutter shot is human hands holding a camera.
Also, even on a tripod, any strong wind will induce some vibration which would impact any camera.