From: Eric Stevens <eric.stevens@sum.co.nz>
Subject: Re: DSLR resolution suffers by about 20% when electronic shutter not used with mirror up
Full headers:
From: Eric Stevens <eric.stevens@sum.co.nz>
Newsgroups: rec.photo.digital
Date: Mon, 29 Jan 2018 11:49:57 +1300
On Sat, 27 Jan 2018 17:01:33 -0800 (PST), RichA<rander3128@gmail.com>
wrote:

>On Friday, 26 January 2018 23:45:35 UTC-5, Savageduck  wrote:
>> On Jan 26, 2018, Eric Stevens wrote
>> (in article<gdgn6ddrkvjer77ro6pfr9okndoi9hchq9@4ax.com>):

>> > Still no problem with my D750.
>> >
>> > Select Mup (mirror up) - select.
>>
>> Live View in action.
>> >
>> > No electronic shutter. See note below.
>>
>> Noted.
>> >
>> > Wireless shutter release - check
>>
>> Good.
>> >
>> > Focus peaking (of a kind) - check.
>> > See https://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/57292217
>>
>> Close, but not quite as effective, and useful as true focus peaking. However,
>> for the type of shot that all of this procedure is intended for you would be
>> using Live View, and it should be good enough.
>> >
>> > Heavy! Vibrate it if you can - check.
>>
>> Always possible.
>> Note, this discussion brought on us by Rich, and the geeky article he
>> discovered, is going to be a minimal issue for those photographers with the
>> appropriate knowledge, and skills regardless of the camera type in use. The
>> results of any minimal vibration is going to need some serious pixel-peeking
>> to detect.
>> >
>> > Note: I'm not keen on electronic shutters. They can lead to image
>> > distortion with action shots and they are reputed to shorten the life
>> > of the sensor.
>>
>> Electronic shutters have their place, and provide an option over a mechanical
>> shutter. However, as you have noted, when it comes to action shots where the
>> shutter speed has been pushed, rolling shutter effect comes into play with
>> all the unwanted distortion that brings. Though there are times those effects
>> can be amusing. For the type of shot where the camera is tripod mounted, the
>> subject is static, and vibration is to be minimized, the electronic shutter
>> can be appreciated.
>

>Without an electronic shutter, there is no way to rid a camera of all vibration.
>Modern Photography once bolted cameras to a concrete wall to try to eliminate it.  At some point,
long before an electronic shutter camera experiences it, a camera with mechanical shutter will blur
the image.  The only variable left with an electronic shutter shot is human hands holding a camera.
Also, even on a tripod, any strong wind will induce some vibration which would impact any camera.

It also depends on the viewing angle of the lens and the number of
pixels in the image.
--

Regards,

Eric Stevens